Bhopal gas survivors to sit on ‘dharna’ from TuesdayJanuary 2nd, 2012 - 7:23 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Jan 2 (IANS) The survivors of the Bhopal gas tragedy Monday announced an indefinite ‘dharna’ (sit-in) from January 3, demanding correction in figures of those killed and injured in the soon-to-be-heard curative petition in the Supreme Court.
At a press conference here, five leaders of five organisations fighting for justice to the victims said that the state government was yet to make much needed corrections in the figures as promised by Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
“Our dharna will continue till the figures in the curative petition are actually corrected.” said Rashida Bee of the Bhopal Gas Peedit Mahila Stationery Karmchari Sangh.
The survivors said that they would clean up and restore the historic ‘Bawadi’ (step well) in the Bada Bagh area where the indefinite dharna will be held.
So far, the only assurance the organisations have received is that the concerned officials will be meeting with the additional solicitor general of Madhya Pradesh on January 6 to discuss changes in figures of damage caused by the has leak in the Union Carbide plant here on Dec 3-4 night of 1984.
The organisations will also be demanding dropping of false criminal charges against Bhopal gas victims and the setting up of an independent and impartial investigation as promised by the chief minister.
“Some 2000 Bhopal residents are facing 17 criminal charges just for holding peaceful protests on the 27th anniversary of the disaster. The government is trying to criminalise the survivors’ efforts to claim their legal rights to adequate compensation,” said Balkrishna Namdeo of the Bhopal of Gas Peedit Nirashrit Pension Bhogi Sangharsh Morcha.
- Bhopal gas tragedy survivors sit-in to move to Delhi - Jan 20, 2012
- Update death toll in gas tragedy: Bhopal survivors - Oct 17, 2011
- Bhopal gas tragedy survivors call shutdown Oct 11 - Oct 08, 2011
- Bhopal survivors burn effigy of IOC president - Feb 19, 2012
- Government toed Union Carbide's line on compensation: RTI - Oct 17, 2011
- Bhopal shuts down for gas tragedy affected - Oct 11, 2011
- Bhopal tragedy victims to protest during Obama visit - Nov 03, 2010
- Bhopal gas survivors burn effigy of corruption - Aug 09, 2011
- Bhopal tragedy survivors burn Chidambaram's effigy - Jan 14, 2012
- Bhopal gas tragedy victims want accused hanged - Jun 06, 2010
- Bhopal gas survivors welcome Ethics Commissioner's resignation - Jan 26, 2012
- Bhopal gas victims to support Hazare's campaign - Aug 08, 2011
- Bhopal survivors burn Anderson's effigy - Dec 02, 2010
- Dumped Carbide waste should be moved out of Pithampur: NGOs - Jul 11, 2010
- Bhopal will remember its dead and dying - and how - Dec 01, 2010
Tags: 27th anniversary, adequate compensation, bagh, bhopal gas tragedy, chief minister, disaster, false criminal charges, impartial investigation, january 6, organisations, peaceful protests, petition, solicitor, state government, stationery, supreme court, survivors, union carbide plant