Bhopal gas survivors burn effigy of corruptionAugust 9th, 2011 - 10:52 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Aug 9 (IANS) More than 200 survivors of the Union Carbide gas disaster burnt an effigy symbolising corruption and demonstrated against “Corruption in medical care, rehabilitation and compensation disbursement”.
The demonstration, on the 69th anniversary of the ‘Quit India Movement’, was part of the nationwide preparations for the Anna Hazare-led India Against Corruption campaign beginning Aug 16.
Leaders of the five organisations of survivors who orchestrated the demonstration said that corruption at all levels of the central and state governments and the judiciary was a significant reason behind the denial of adequate medicare, rehabilitation and compensation to the survivors of one of the worst industrial disasters in 1984.
“A strong Lokpal Bill, and not the weak and ineffective Bill presented by the government, is one of the essential elements to put an end to the disaster that is ongoing for the last 27 years,” Rashida Bi, Bhopal Gas Peedit Mahila Stationery Karmchari Sangh said on the occasion.
Survivors of Bhopal Gas tragedy will be joining Anna Hazare’s fast and dharna in New Delhi and take part in solidarity actions starting from Aug 16 in Bhopal.
- Bhopal survivors burn effigy of IOC president - Feb 19, 2012
- Bhopal gas survivors to sit on 'dharna' from Tuesday - Jan 02, 2012
- Bhopal tragedy survivors burn Chidambaram's effigy - Jan 14, 2012
- Bhopal gas survivors welcome Ethics Commissioner's resignation - Jan 26, 2012
- Bhopal gas tragedy survivors sit-in to move to Delhi - Jan 20, 2012
- Bhopal gas victims to support Hazare's campaign - Aug 08, 2011
- Bhopal gas tragedy survivors call shutdown Oct 11 - Oct 08, 2011
- Cell sought to punish Bhopal disaster guilty - Jun 05, 2010
- Government toed Union Carbide's line on compensation: RTI - Oct 17, 2011
- Olympics ethics panel commissioner quits over Dow sponsorship (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Bhopal shuts down for gas tragedy affected - Oct 11, 2011
- Torch rally to mark Bhopal gas tragedy anniversay - Dec 02, 2010
- Madhya Pradesh concealing facts, say Bhopal gas victims - Apr 22, 2010
- Bhopal tragedy survivors demand probe into nuke plant projects - Mar 22, 2011
- Bhopal gas victims protest to seek Obama's help - Nov 07, 2010
Tags: anna hazare, corruption, demonstration, denial, disaster, disbursement, india movement, industrial disasters, judiciary, medical care, medicare, medicare rehabilitation, New Delhi, organisations, solidarity actions, state governments, stationery, survivors, tragedy, union carbide