Bhiwani comes to a standstill during Vijender’s boutAugust 22nd, 2008 - 3:29 pm ICT by IANS
Bhiwani (Haryana), Aug 22 (IANS) Life in this Haryana town came to a virtual standstill Friday as hundreds gathered in front of television sets to watch local lad Vijender Kumar fight for a boxing silver in the Beijing Olympics. The Indian boxer, who is already assured of a bronze medal, lost 5-8 to Cuban Emilio Correa Bayeaux in the semi-finals of the middleweight (75 kg) category.
People gathered in hundreds outside Vijender’s house in Kaluwas village on the outskirts of this town to watch the crucial bout on a giant projection screen put up for them.
Most school and college students stayed at home to watch the match.
The excitement that built up since morning soon gave way to pindrop silence as Vijender lost the well-fought bout.
But fellow boxers said they were not entirely disappointed with Vijender’s semi-final loss as he had fought well, even in winning the bronze medal - the first one in boxing for India - in the Olympics.
- Vijender knocked out of World Boxing Championships - Oct 01, 2011
- Outlook on boxing changed after Beijing bronze: Vijender - Jun 28, 2012
- Boxer Vijender loses in semis, wins Olympic bronze - Aug 22, 2008
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom secures historic bronze (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- PM congratulates Olympic medallist Mary Kom - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom settles for bronze - Aug 08, 2012
- President congratulates Mary Kom - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic boxing: India's Vijender in 75 kg quarterfinal (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Geeta to wrestle in repechage; Devendro, Sahana out (India Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Vijender to carry Indian flag at closing ceremony - Aug 23, 2008
- Vijender in semifinals of Arafura Games - May 10, 2011
- Mary Kom in semis, Vijender suffers heartbreaking loss (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Vijender will get a hero's welcome: mother - Aug 22, 2008
- Olympic bronze not the end of my road: Mary Kom (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Boxer Vijender has to be content with bronze (Lead) - Aug 22, 2008