Bhatti killers enemies of Pakistan: PM GilaniMarch 4th, 2011 - 2:47 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, March 4 (IANS) The murder of Pakistan’s minorities minister Shahbaz Bhatti, a Christian, was another attempt by enemies of the state to defame the country and the philosophy of tolerance, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has said.
The prime minister said that in Islam, anyone’s murder was a condemnable act and clearly shows that elements behind this heinous crime were enemies of humanity and the state, Geo News reported.
Bhatti, 42, was shot dead March 2 as he left his mother’s house in a posh locality in the heart of Islamabad.
This was the second assassination in less than two months over a controversial blasphemy law. Punjab governor Salman Taseer was killed by his own bodyguard Jan 4.
Both men had been seeking reform in the country’s anti-minority blasphemy law and sought presidential pardon for Aasia Bibi, a 45-year-old Christian woman sentenced to death on charges of insulting the Prophet.
Gilani said he also celebrated Christmas at a church last year with the Christian community. The event was organised by Bhatti, he said.
- Pakistan minister gunned down in Islamabad (Third Lead) - Mar 02, 2011
- Pak Taliban threatens to target more blasphemy law reform supporters - Mar 03, 2011
- International manhunt on for Pakistani minister's killers - Dec 26, 2011
- Pakistani minister, a Christian, assassinated (Fourth Lead) - Mar 02, 2011
- Indian christians condemn killing of Pakistan minister - Mar 02, 2011
- A Pakistani law that felled a minister and a governor - Mar 03, 2011
- Salman Taseer's assassin gets death sentence - Oct 01, 2011
- Zardari remembers slain minorities minister - Mar 06, 2012
- Blasphemy accused Pak-Christian woman approaches LHC against death sentence - Nov 27, 2010
- Sherry Rehman appointed Pakistan's envoy to US - Nov 23, 2011
- Pak minister's assassins leave Taliban-linked leaflets at murder spot - Mar 02, 2011
- 'Zardari to issue pardon or grant clemency to blasphemy convict Pak-Christian woman' - Nov 25, 2010
- Sherry Rehman next on terror hit list? - Mar 03, 2011
- Evidence found regarding Shahbaz Bhatti's assassination - Mar 04, 2011
- Pak declares three-day official mourning for assassinated minister - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: aasia, blasphemy law, bodyguard, christian woman, enemies of the state, geo news, gilani, heinous crime, islam, islamabad, killers, locality, minorities, presidential pardon, prime minister, prophet, raza, salman taseer, shahbaz, yousuf