Bharti Airtel plans $3.5 bn capital expenditure for 2009-10 (Lead)January 22nd, 2009 - 10:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 22 (IANS) Telecom major Bharti Airtel has earmarked around $3.5 billion as capital expenditure (capex) for mobile services and infrastructure business for the next financial year, a top official said here Thursday. “About $2.5 billion have been earmarked as capex for mobile services and approximately $1 billion for the passive infrastructure,” Bharti Group deputy chief executive Akhil Gupta said.
Gupta said around $3 billion will be invested in the company’s tower business run by Bharti Infratel (a wholly owned subsidiary) and Indus Towers, an independent tower company formed by Bharti, Vodafone and Idea to provide passive infrastructure services in India.
However, this capex does not include the amount the company will spend during 3G auctions.
“Most of the money will be raised internally for 3G auctions if the bids are sensible. However, we cannot state any figure right now,” Gupta said.
The company has received spectrum for second generation (2G) mobile services in nine more circles and eight applications are still pending with the Department of Telecom (DoT), Gupta said.
Talking about making corporate governance guidelines more stringent, Gupta said: “Our corporate governance is not guided by any mishap in India or internationally. At Bharti, it is a constant exercise on trying to improve our internal policies.”
- Bharti Airtel plans $5 bn capital expenditure for 2009-10 - Jan 22, 2009
- Reliance Communications examining sale of controlling stake in arm - May 31, 2011
- Reliance Communications to de-merge telecom infrastructure arm - Jun 14, 2010
- 'MTNL sharing infrastructure with private operators' - Aug 19, 2011
- Court ruling will lead to consolidation, fresh investment (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- RCom merges tower business with GTL Infra - Jun 27, 2010
- Court notice to Vodafone - Nov 17, 2011
- TDSAT provides relief to telecom operators till Jan 3 - Dec 24, 2011
- Bharti Airtel quarterly net income down 28 percent (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Bharti Airtel signs network expansion deal with Huawei - Jun 01, 2011
- Exploring stake sale in telecom towers arm: Ambani - Sep 04, 2012
- Final decision on 3G roaming after meeting operators: DoT - Nov 28, 2011
- Exploring stake sale in telecom towers arm: Ambani (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Return 3G license fees if roaming pact illegal: Telecom biggies - Nov 22, 2011
- Airtel, Idea, Vodafone asked to stop 3G roaming service (Lead) - Dec 23, 2011