Bharathiar University to have Confucius CentreMarch 31st, 2008 - 8:26 pm ICT by admin
Coimbatore, March 31 (IANS) The Bharathiar University in Tamil Nadu has announced it will set up a research centre in May for Indian students to study Chinese culture. The university, based in this textile town, decided to name the centre after the Chinese philosopher Confucius, G. Thiruvasagam, vice-chancellor of Bharathiar University who has just returned from a ten-day China visit, said Monday.
“Confucius has had a great influence on the Chinese education system and lifestyle and our university wants to set up the Confucius Centre for Indian scholars to get better acquainted with his teachings,” he said.
The Confucius Centre “will allow students here to study the contribution made by Confucius to philosophy and world culture”, Thiruvasagam added.
The centre will be supported by the Chinese government. The university has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with China’s Huaihua University, which will provide a professor and two lecturers to support the centre.
The university also announced that influenced by the Chinese education system, it will increase the number of short-term and vocational courses it offers. Minimum attendance will no longer be compulsory for students but teachers will be judged by a student assessment process.
- China builds museum on Confucius - Feb 29, 2012
- US asks Chinese academics to leave country - May 24, 2012
- China observes 2,561st birthday of Confucius - Sep 28, 2010
- Karunanidhi's writings to be translated into Chinese - Jul 15, 2008
- As China grows, its language spreads globally - Jan 31, 2010
- IGNOU to offer courses on traditional knowledge systems - Jul 12, 2011
- UAE's first Confucius institute opened - Mar 08, 2012
- IIM-Shillong will teach about China's growth story - Jan 31, 2012
- China to help Indian teachers learn Chinese - Aug 25, 2012
- China, UK Universities in talks for academic research partnership - Apr 23, 2011
- India-China friends forever: Wen Jiabao - Dec 15, 2010
- China to help develop Nalanda International University: Envoy - Jan 21, 2011
- China announces donation for Nalanda University - Jan 21, 2011
- Wen seeks to win Indians with Tagore, tai-chi, calligraphy - Dec 11, 2010
- IGNOU signs pact with Chinese varsity - Oct 05, 2011