Bharat Sanchar launches net-based TV services in HaryanaDecember 31st, 2008 - 6:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 31 (IANS) State-run telecom operator Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) Wednesday announced the launch of its Internet Protocol Television (IPTV) in the Haryana in association with Smart Digivision. The company has launched services initially in three cities - Gurgaon, Faridabad and Ambala - and will later take it to the rest of the state.
“We plan to launch the IPTV services in nine cities as of now and will then take it up to 93 cities,” BSNL chairman and managing director Kuldeep Goyal told reporters.
“This move will also help us retain our wireline customers, as customers will be required to have a broadband connection for the services,” Goyal said.
Referring to BSNL’s third generation (3G) mobile services launch, Goyal said it would be rolled out in the next two months starting from Chennai. “We are certainly ready to match the highest bidder price that the company is required to pay for the spectrum that has been allocated to it,” he added.
Talking of the IPTV launch, Smart Digivision chairman Mahendra Nahata said: “We aim to have four million subscribers in three years.”
His company has franchise for about 54 cities and plans to launch in all centres before the end of the current fiscal year, he said.
IPTV is a system that delivers digital content services to subscribers using the Internet protocol over a broadband connection using closed network infrastructure.
Nahata, who holds 36 percent stake in Datacom Solutions, the telecom arm of the Venugopal Dhoot-headed Videocon Industries, also indicated his company was open to the recent offer made by Videocon for its entire stake in the telecom subsidiary.
Dwelling on the development, Nahata said: “I would like to reach a solution of all our problems in the New Year and want to arrive at an agreement with the partners”.
- BSNL unveils prepaid broadband service in Bangalore - Oct 23, 2009
- BSNL to provide 3G telecom services at affordable prices - May 16, 2010
- BSNL offers free installation to new broadband customers - Mar 29, 2010
- UTStarcom to support BSNL's IPTV roll-out - May 26, 2009
- China looks at convergence of TV, Internet, phone in 2012 - Dec 27, 2011
- Bharti Airtel has 200 million customers: Mittal - Nov 18, 2010
- Like the pizza ad? Your telly can order it too - Jun 14, 2009
- Latin American firm gains control of Dutch telecom - Jun 29, 2012
- Videocon Telecom hopes to make profit in two years - Mar 25, 2010
- BSNL launches Bharat Berry push e-mail service - Nov 14, 2011
- Bharti adds 2 mn subscribers in May, India total now 929 mn - Jul 05, 2012
- Airtel launches IPTV services in Delhi - Jan 19, 2009
- MTNL not seeking concessions on 3G price: Kuldip Singh - May 20, 2010
- Malayalam IPTV channel launched for expatriates - May 11, 2011
- Videocon to seek review of order cancelling licences - Feb 29, 2012