Bhanwari Devi case: Court issues notice to CBI chief, officialsApril 19th, 2012 - 11:50 pm ICT by IANS
Jodhpur, April 19 (IANS) The Rajasthan High Court Thursday issued show-cause notices to Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) director and other agency officers on allegations of harassment by a local politician during investigation into the case of missing nurse Bhanwari Devi, a lawyer said.
The notices were issued to CBI director, a deputy inspector general of police (DIG), a superintendent of police (SP) and an inspector-rank officer, the lawyer added.
Shabhu Singh Khetasar, a former Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) leader, had approached the Rajasthan High Court April 16 alleging that he was being repeatedly called for interrogation.
During the previous state assembly elections, Khetasar had lost to Congress leader Mahipal Maderna who was later sacked from the cabinet and was arrested for his alleged role in the kidnap and murder of nurse Bhanwari Devi Sep 1. Maderna was shown in a compromising position with the nurse on a CD.
Sources said that the CBI suspects Khetasar to be involved in making the CD public.
“My client was being unnecessarily harassed by the CBI on the pretext of interrogation. Even his family members were called for questioning when he was admitted to a hospital in Gujarat for treatment,” said Khetasar’s lawyer Pushpendra Singh.
The CBI has claimed in a chargesheet filed in the case earlier that Maderna and Congress legislator Malkhan Singh Bishnoi and Bishnoi’s sister Indra Bishnoi had hired people to eliminate Bhanwari Devi.
It was alleged that three kidnappers — Shahabuddin, Sohan Lal and Baldev Jat alias Balia — kidnapped Bhanwari from Bilara Sep 1, killed her and handed her body to a gang of criminals headed by Bishnaram Bishnoi who burnt her to ashes and dumped her remains in a canal.
- Nurse case: CBI custody of accused extended till Feb 6 (Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- CBI arrests two more in missing nurse case - Jan 25, 2012
- Missing nurse case: CBI quizzes arrested legislator's mother - Jan 31, 2012
- Bishnoi's bail plea rejected in Bhanwari case - May 26, 2012
- One more arrested in Bhanwari case - Jan 17, 2012
- Nurse case: Bishnois allege CBI harassment - Feb 12, 2012
- Protests against 'harassment' of Congress legislator's mother - Feb 03, 2012
- Bhanwari Devi case: Ashes sent to Delhi for DNA test (Lead) - Jan 06, 2012
- Congress MP quizzed in missing nurse case - Feb 09, 2012
- Missing nurse case: Another accused refuses to testify - Jan 24, 2012
- Bhanwari case: Setback for CBI as accused refuses to testify - Jan 11, 2012
- CBI nabs one more in Bhanwari Devi case - Jan 04, 2012
- Missing nurse case committed to trial, to start April 2 - Mar 27, 2012
- Bhanwari Devi case: CBI collectively quizzes six accused - Jan 29, 2012
- Bhanwari Devi case: CBI quiz three accused together - Jan 28, 2012
Tags: assembly elections, baldev, bhanwari devi, bishnoi, bjp leader, cbi, central bureau of investigation, congress leader, deputy inspector general, hospital in gujarat, indra, jat, kidnappers, lal, maderna, mahipal, pretext, rajasthan high court, sohan, state assembly