Bhanot opposes charges in CWG graft case (Lead)July 24th, 2012 - 8:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 24 (IANS) Former secretary-general of the Commonwealth Games (CWG)organising committee Lalit Bhanot Tuesday opposed in a Delhi special court the charges against him in a corruption case related to the 2010 sporting event held here.
Bhanot’s counsel Ramesh Gupta told Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Special Judge Talwant Singh that the investigating officer did not examine the documents submitted by company MSL Spain in the bidding process for the contract for timing-scoring-result (TSR) machine.
According to the prosecution, two bids were received for the TSR contract from Swiss Timing and MSL Spain and these were opened Nov 4, 2009 but former CWG organising committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi and his associates V.K. Verma had Oct 12, 2009 announced in a meeting that the contract would be awarded to Swiss Timing.
Bhanot was part of the conspiracy for causing financial irregularities in organising the Commonwealth Games, the CBI alleged.
Bhanot alleged MSL Spain used forged documents in the bidding. The forms submitted by the company were not duly filled as few columns were left blank.
“If some column of a form is left blank, then it does not contain complete information,” said Gupta. He added that it was mandatory for every company taking part in the bidding process to fill the form with complete information.
The court was hearing arguments on charge in a corruption case related to the 2010 CWG held here.
The CBI in its first charge sheet in the case against Kalmadi and 10 others described him as a prime accused and the mastermind in the corruption case related to financial irregularities in awarding the Rs.141 crore contract for the scoring system.
The accused officials and two companies were charged under various sections of the Indian Penal Code for cheating, criminal conspiracy and forgery and under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
- Award of contract to Swiss Timing transparent, says Bhanot - Aug 03, 2012
- CWG scam: Bhanot calls CBI case prejudiced - Jul 27, 2012
- CWG graft: Bhanot denies financial role - Jul 26, 2012
- CBI alleges lapse in awarding 2010 Games contract (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- CBI files chargesheet against Kalmadi, eight others (Second Lead) - May 20, 2011
- CWG graft: High Court notice to CWG accused - May 04, 2012
- CWG timing system contract case trial to start June 6 - May 25, 2011
- CWG: Kalmadi's bail plea deferred till Jan 9 - Jan 06, 2012
- CWG scam: Lalit Bhanot's bail plea rejected (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- Not involved in Games' equipment purchases: Kalmadi - May 24, 2012
- CWG scam: After Kalmadi gets bail, Bhanot moves plea - Jan 19, 2012
- Sports ministry knew about Games purchases: Kalmadi - May 28, 2012
- Kalmadi in CBI net for CWG graft (Intro Roundup) - Apr 25, 2011
- CWG timing system contract case: Key points of charge sheet - May 24, 2011
- CBI charge sheet on Games' time equipment scam by May 23 - May 09, 2011
Tags: cbi, central bureau of investigation, commonwealth games, corruption case, criminal conspiracy, crore, financial irregularities, forgery, graft case, gupta, indian penal code, lalit bhanot, organising committee, prevention of corruption act, ramesh, scoring system, special judge, suresh kalmadi, swiss timing, v k verma