Bhagat Singh memorial in native village gets go aheadJanuary 30th, 2009 - 4:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 30 (IANS) A memorial in honour of revolutionary freedom fighter Bhagat Singh will come up in his native village in Punjab, officials said Friday.The memorial, which would be built at a cost of Rs.168 million in Khatkar Kalan village in Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar, was given the go ahead in December 2008 by the National Implementation Committee set up by the central government in 2007, an official at the ministry of culture said.
The committee had been set up to look into Bhagat Singh’s centenary celebrations in 2007.
Following the clearance by the committee, Tourism and Culture Minister Ambika Soni has sent an invitation to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh requesting him to lay the foundation stone of the memorial, the official said.
“The foundation laying ceremony will be organised by the ministry in coordination with the Punjab government,” the official added.
Bhagat Singh was born in Khatkar Kalan village in Nawanshahar district Sep 27, 1907. The Punjab government renamed Nawanshahar as Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar last year. Khatkar Kalan is 80 km from Chandigarh.
Bhagat Singh, along with revolutionaries Sukhdev and Rajguru, was hanged by the British March 23, 1931, for violent activities against the British government.
- In poll warm-up, all roads lead to Bhagat Singh village - Mar 22, 2011
- Congress apology sought for naming martyrs' castes in Sandesh - Apr 12, 2011
- Parliament remembers martyrs Bhagat Singh, Rajguru, Sukhdev (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Thousands turn up for rallies at Bhagat Singh's village - Mar 23, 2011
- Rajya Sabha pays tribute to Bhagat Singh, Rajguru, Sukhdev - Mar 23, 2011
- 101 Birthday of Martyr Rajguru - Aug 26, 2009
- Play on Bhagat Singh staged in Lahore - May 19, 2011
- Manpreet Badal to launch his party Sunday - Mar 26, 2011
- Tucked away in library, a slice of freedom struggle - Mar 24, 2011
- Manpreet Badal launches own political party - Mar 27, 2011
- New Zealander of British ancestry sponsors Bhagat Singh memorial - Oct 02, 2009
- Bhagat Singh's followers campaign to save his alma mater in Lahore - Feb 01, 2010
- Estranged Badal kin quits as legislator, to launch party (Lead) - Mar 26, 2011
- 'Bhagat Singh's image being distorted' - Nov 13, 2008
- Bhagat Singh's centenary: Punjab spends Rs.3 crore in a day - Jan 06, 2009