Best Bakery killings: Four get life term, five acquittedJuly 9th, 2012 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 9 (IANS) The Bombay High Court Monday sentenced four people to life imprisonment while acquitting another five in the 2002 Best Bakery carnage in which 14 people were killed in Vadodara in Gujarat during communal frenzy.
A division bench of Justices P.D. Kode and V.M. Kanade convicted Sanjay Thakkar, Bahadursinh Chavan, Shanabhai Baria and Dinesh Rajbhar.
Rajubhai Baria, Pankaj Gosai, Jagdish Rajput, Shailesh Tadvi and Suresh Vasava were acquitted in the case whose re-trial in Maharashtra was ordered by the Supreme Court in 2004.
A Vadodara court earlier acquitted all the 21 accused in the communal riots case in 2003.
On July 3, the high court reserved its judgment after hearing both the defence and the prosecution and said it would start dictating the order in open court.
During the riots in February 2002 in Gujarat, 14 people had taken refuge in the Best Bakery in Vadodara March 1 when they were killed by around 20 people.
On Feb 24, 2005, a special court in Mumbai convicted nine of the 20 accused in the case and sentenced them to life imprisonment. The accused approached the Bombay High Court challenging the order.
The trial court earlier acquitted eight other accused in the case and issued perjury notices to witness Zahira Sheikh and other witnesses in the case for backtracking from their testimonies.
In 2006, Sheikh, her mother Sehrunisa and sister Saherabano were convicted for perjury.
- Life terms for 31 in Gujarat's 2002 Sardarpura massacre - Nov 09, 2011
- Godhra case: Death sentence for 11, life terms for 20 - Mar 01, 2011
- Godhra train burning judgement does not justify riots: Moily - Mar 01, 2011
- Nine convicted, 32 acquitted for Gujarat riots case (Lead, superseding earlier story) - May 04, 2012
- BJP legislator, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya carnage (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Top cop says Gujarat CM Modi involved in Godhra case - Apr 22, 2011
- TV executive murder case convict refused bail - Dec 20, 2011
- Grover killing: Maharashtra appeals for stringent punishment - Oct 05, 2011
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister Kodnani, 31 convicted (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister among 32 convicted (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- BJP lawmaker, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya killings - Aug 31, 2012
- Death sought for Godhra train burning convicts (Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
- Jessica Lall case: Defence ends arguments in perjury case - Apr 19, 2011
- All Indian police communalised, says Bhushan - Feb 27, 2012
- 63 Godhra acquitted by court leave Sabarmati Jail - Feb 22, 2011
Tags: backtracking, baria, best bakery, bombay high court, chavan, communal riots, dinesh, division bench, gujarat, jagdish, life imprisonment, p d kode, pankaj, perjury, rajput, sanjay, shailesh, thakkar, vadodara, vasava