Berlusconi slammed for ’suntanned Obama’ remarkNovember 7th, 2008 - 5:53 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 7 (IANS) Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has been criticised after he praised American President-elect Barack Obama - for his “suntan”. The 72-year-old media tycoon Berlusconi, on a visit to Moscow, Thursday described Obama as “young, handsome and even tanned”.
Berlusconi said the relative youth of Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, 43, and Obama, 47, should make it easier for Moscow and Washington to work together.
“I told the president that (Obama) has everything needed in order to reach deals with him: He’s young, handsome and even tanned,” he said through an interpreter.
Berlusconi later defended the remark, calling it “a great compliment… If they have the vice of not having a sense of humour, worse for them,” Italy’s ANSA news agency reported.
The Italian leader said the remark was meant to be “cute” and called his critics “imbeciles, of which there are too many”.
The website of the Italian newspaper La Repubblica said: “Right on cue comes the first almighty gaffe which risks to outshine even the German MEP one” - a reference to the time Berlusconi described a German member of the European Parliament as a “prison of war camp guard”.
Italian opposition MP Dario Franceschini said: “He needs to apologise straight away. The best theory is that he can no longer control himself.
“What Berlusconi doesn’t realise is that his words damage the image of our country across the whole world. To say that the new President of the United States is handsome, young and suntanned will be seen as offensive by the whole world. It’s loaded with dangerous ambiguity,” Franceschini added.
Berlusconi’s gaffe comes after a member of the rightwing National Alliance, Maurizio Gasparri, said: “With Obama in the White House, perhaps Al Qaeda is happier”, prompting a demand for an apology from the centre-left opposition.
- Italians criticise Berlusconi over 'suntan' Obama gaffe - Sep 29, 2009
- Italian PMs latest gaffe is praising Obamas suntan - Nov 07, 2008
- Silvio Berlusconi: I'm paler than Obama - Mar 27, 2009
- Berlusconi's Top Five gaffes - Sep 29, 2009
- Unrepentant Berlusconi still envious of Obama and Naomi Campbells ''suntan'' - Nov 24, 2008
- Europes insensitive racial remarks over Obama - Nov 12, 2008
- Silvio Berlusconis ''cuckoo'' prank leaves Angela Merkel in splits! - Nov 19, 2008
- Carla Bruni's G8 snub to sex scandal hit Berlusconi - Jul 08, 2009
- Italy to shut down anti-Berlusconi Facebook site - Oct 23, 2009
- Ancient statue in Italian premier's office repaired - Nov 19, 2010
- Berlusconi's wife wins the battle against his 'babes' - Apr 30, 2009
- Berlusconi says girlfriend 'would have clawed eyes out' if had slept with 33 women - Mar 17, 2011
- Silvio Berlusconi condemns furore over links with teenage girl - Oct 29, 2010
- Moroccan model says 'sorry' over Berlusconi sex scandal - Oct 30, 2010
- Berlusconi attacker transferred to psychiatric hospital - Jan 20, 2010