Berlusconi says he won’t stand for re-electionNovember 9th, 2011 - 6:50 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Nov 9 (IANS/AKI) Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi said he doesn’t aim to recapture his office in the next national election.
The candidate for Berlusconi’s centre-right People of Freedom party will be party secretary and former justice minister Angelino Alfano, Berlusconi said.
“The candidate for prime minister will be Alfano,” Berlusconi said in the Turin daily La Stampa’s Wednesday edition.
Berlusconi Tuesday said he would resign as soon as his government passed a series of measures designed to boost economic growth the eurozone’s richest country. He told La Stampa that the measures could be approved in a matter of “days”.
Berlusconi wants elections rather than a having a caretaker government take the reigns until 2013 when the current government’s mandate expires.
“I only see elections for February, elections in which I will not be a candidate,” Berlusconi told La Stampa.
Alfano, 41, this year was anointed the billionaire politician’s successor and sceptics says Berlusconi will be calling the shots from behind the scenes.
- Berlusconi wants to be economy minister in 2013 - Jun 28, 2012
- Berlusconi backs ex-minister as his successor - Jul 08, 2011
- Italy's debt interest-payment levels reach record level - Nov 09, 2011
- Ferrari chief says Berlusconi must resign - Nov 01, 2011
- Berlusconi won't run for re-election in 2013 - Apr 14, 2011
- Berlusconi to take over AC Milan from daughter - Feb 17, 2012
- Mario Monti is Italy's new PM (Lead) - Nov 14, 2011
- Berlusconi says he will call it quits as PM in 2013 - Dec 24, 2010
- Rapper says Berlusconi stole lyrics - Feb 23, 2012
- Berlusconi highest-earning politician in Italy - Mar 20, 2012
- Berlusconi's income rises - Mar 20, 2012
- When Italian senate applauded likely caretaker PM - Nov 11, 2011
- Berlusconi blames author for giving publicity to mafia - Apr 17, 2010
- Italian president holds talks on new government - Nov 13, 2011
- Berlusconi to write memoir on his private life - Aug 24, 2011