Bengal’s future rests with Congress-Trinamool: SoniaApril 15th, 2011 - 7:06 pm ICT by IANS
Jalpaiguri/Englishbazar, Apr 15 (IANS) Accusing the Left Front government of ruining West Bengal and failing to utilise central funds for development, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi Friday called for a change of regime, saying the future of the state rested upon the shoulders of the Congress and the Trinamool Congress.
Addressing election meetings in northern parts of the state, Gandhi attacked the Left Front government for its inability to usher in development, and alleged that West Bengal did not have proper irrigation facilities, while drinking water was not available to one-third of the population.
Speaking at an election rally in the northern West Bengal town of Jalpaiguri, Gandhi said: “Now the time has come to change the regime in the state”.
“I appeal to the people to cast their votes in favour of the Congress-Trinamool Congress alliance,” she said.
“Kendra ne is rajya ko kafi dhan diya hai, lekin iska asar kahin nahi dikha (though the central government has relased enough funds for the state, the results are nowhere to be seen),” she said.
Later, in another meeting at Englishbazar in Malda district, she said the Congress and Trinamool wanted to change West Bengal for the better.
“Along with (Trinamool chief) Mamataji (Banerjee) we want to change the environment in Bengal. The future of Bengal rests upon the shoulders of the Congress and the Trinamool.”
Gandhi said: “Why is the condition of the state worsening? With laborious and skilful people like you in abundance, should the condition of this state be like this? The (LF major) CPI-M (Communist Party of India-Marxist) has totally ruined the state.”
“From farmers to labourers to workers in the unorganised sector, the condition of all is miserable but the state government is not bothered.” said Gandhi after wishing the people “Shubho nabo borsho” (Happy New Year) on Bengali New Year’s Day.
Training her guns on the 34-year Left Front rule, she said: “What should I say about the state of irrigation, drinking water and electricity in Bengal? You are more aware than me.”
“The public distribution system is in a shambles. In spite of financial help from the centre, the government here has done nothing towards development. You should ask them why they have been sitting on the central funds all these years.”
“The situation here cannot be tolerated anymore. We never do politics in the name of development. It is their (Left’s) forte,” Gandhi said.
“The amount of funds given to the states by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, had not been given in the past,” she said.
Gandhi claimed that the condition of the state would not have deteriorated to the present level, had the central funds been properly used.
She also accused the Left Front of discriminating in implementing developmental schemes in Congress strongholds.
“Does communism mean that people will become poorer?” she asked.
The state will have six-phase polls beginning April 18 and continuing till May 10. The vote count is slated for May 13.
- Time for a change of regime in West Bengal: Sonia Gandhi - Apr 15, 2011
- Sonia's comment an insult to West Bengal: Bardhan - Apr 15, 2011
- Sonia lambasts Left Front, sends strong message to dissidents (Lead) - Apr 20, 2011
- Sonia alleges misuse of central funds in Bengal - Apr 20, 2011
- Vote out CPI-M, end misrule: Rahul tells Bengal (Roundup) - Apr 15, 2011
- Time for regime change in Bengal, says PM (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- Congress dubs Trinamool 'BJP stooge', asked to leave ministry (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Haldia victory answer to Trinamool's politics: Left Front - Jun 05, 2012
- Trinamool scores in civic polls, loses near Nandigram - Jun 05, 2012
- Give Congress-Trinamool a chance: PM to Bengal - Apr 23, 2011
- Centre doesn't give money out of charity: Karat - Apr 21, 2011
- Pranab listens as Mamata says state coffers are empty - Feb 17, 2012
- Time for regime change in Bengal, says PM (Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- Trinamool shielding scamsters: BJP - Nov 30, 2011
- We can fight and win on our own, Trinamool tells Congress - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,