Bengali actor Sabyasachi’s dream comes true with ‘Tintorettor Jishu’December 12th, 2008 - 8:14 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 12 (IANS) Bengali actor Sabyasachi Chakraborty, who is playing the detective Feluda in Sandip Ray’s new film “Tintorettor Jishu”, says he wanted to play the role even before he became an actor.”When I saw the first Feluda film ‘Sonar Kella’ directed by Satyajit Ray, I was literally bowled over. That very moment I decided that if I get a chance, I would play Feluda on screen at least once. And after 13 years, I am playing the character,” Sabyasachi Chakraborty told reporters here.
Released Friday, “Tintorettor Jishu” is based on Satyajit Ray’s novel of the same name. Directed by veteran filmmaker’s son, Sandip, the story revolves around the theft of a famous painting by Italian artist Tintoretto. Feluda chases the unidentified thieves from West Bengal to Hong Kong and solves the case.
However, Sabyasachi said he has no intention of comparing himself with veteran actor Soumitra Chatterjee, who has immortalised the character in Satyajit Ray’s series of Feluda films.
“Chatterjee played Feluda for Ray, I play it for his son Sandip, so where’s the scope for comparison? Jokes apart, let me tell you that I play Feluda in my own way,” Sabyasachi said.
“The Feluda I play is updated, not changed. He knows how to operate laptops, cell phones and other hi-fi gadgets. But he himself does not keep any modern gadgets, instead, he relies more on ‘mogojastro’ (brain-weapon) to solve his cases. He is the same old chap in, not a new, but different wrap,” he added.
- Satyajit Ray was a ruthless director, says son Sandip (Interview) - Apr 01, 2012
- Satyajit Ray's son coming up with Feluda movie - May 02, 2010
- No one in India has Satyajit Ray's 'Sikkim' print: Son - Sep 18, 2010
- Review Of 'Gorosthane Sabdhan': Feluda Is Back With A Bang! - Dec 11, 2010
- 'Feluda' lends voice to Tagore - Aug 25, 2012
- Feluda magic works in spurts in 'Gorosthane Sabdhan' (Bengali Film Review) - Dec 11, 2010
- Phalke award is recognition of my 53 years of hard work: Soumitra - Mar 21, 2012
- Soumitra Chatterjee named for Dada Saheb Phalke award (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Bengali cinema going for classy foreign locales - Feb 13, 2011
- I have dry throat before next Feluda release: Sandip Ray - Dec 11, 2008
- Mamata uses film fest to connect with masses (West Bengal Newsletter) - Nov 12, 2011
- Would love to continue for audiences's sake: Soumitra Chatterjee - May 18, 2012
- Disney Channel announces TV premiere of Ray's 'Feluda - The Kathmandu Caper' - Dec 24, 2010
- Even today Ray remains alive in me: Soumitra Chatterjee (April 23 in Satyajit Ray's 20th death anniversary) - Apr 23, 2012
- Why would I have gone to Mumbai? asks Soumitra Chatterjee (Interview) - May 12, 2012