Bengal trawler tragedy toll rises to 69November 2nd, 2010 - 4:28 pm ICT by IANS
Kakdwip (West Bengal), Nov 2 (IANS) The death count in the West Bengal trawler capsize in the Muriganga river rose to 69 Tuesday, as divers and locals fished out three more bodies during search operations. Sixty-two people are still missing.
“The death toll is now 69. Till Monday, 66 bodies were found, and three more corpses have been found this morning - two by hovercraft and one by a rescue boat,” South 24-Parganas additional district magistrate (relief) Nilanjan Shandilya told IANS Tuesday.
The trawler ferrying 220 people, mainly Muslim pilgrims, to Kakdwip in South 24-Parganas from Hijli Sharif in East Midnapore district, capsized Saturday morning in the mouth of Muriganga River where it empties into the Bay of Bengal. Eighty-nine people have been rescued so far.
As more than 62 hours have passed since the trawler capsized in the river near Ghoramara island, 150 km south of Kolkata, all the bodies were bloated and disfigured.
The search operations involved divers from the Indian Navy, the coast guard and the Kolkata Port Trust. The divers worked tirelessly despite a strong water current and low visibility due to a cloud cover. “This hampered the work of the divers,” an official said.
A helicopter and a hovercraft have been deployed to help in the search.
Hundreds of people are thronging the Kakdwip sub-divisional hospital and the banks of the Muriganga in search of their relatives.
- Bengal trawler capsize toll rises to 76 (Lead) - Nov 02, 2010
- Bengal trawler capsize: Toll rises to 80, over 50 still missing (Lead) - Nov 03, 2010
- Bengal trawler tragedy toll rises to 66 (Third Lead) - Nov 02, 2010
- West Bengal trawler capsize toll now 77 - Nov 03, 2010
- Bengal trawler tragedy toll rises to 62 (Second Lead) - Nov 01, 2010
- Bengal trawler tragedy toll rises to 42 (Lead) - Nov 01, 2010
- West Bengal trawler capsize toll rises to 82 (Lead) - Nov 04, 2010
- Bengal trawler capsize toll rises to 82 - Nov 04, 2010
- Bengal trawler capsize: Toll rises to 81 (Second Lead) - Nov 04, 2010
- Death toll in Bengal trawler tragedy rises to 30 - Nov 01, 2010
- Bengal trawler capsize toll rises to 23, 100 missing (Second Lead) - Oct 31, 2010
- Bengal trawler capsize: Toll now 20 (Lead) - Oct 31, 2010
- Bengal trawler tragedy: Search operations resume - Oct 31, 2010
- 18 drowned, over 50 missing in Bengal trawler capsize (Second Lead) - Oct 30, 2010
- Piece of wood helps boy survive after boat tragedy - Oct 31, 2010
Tags: bay of bengal, corpses, death count, death toll, district magistrate, eighty nine, ghoramara island, hovercraft, indian navy, midnapore district, muslim pilgrims, nov 2, port trust, rescue boat, saturday morning, search hundreds, search operations, sharif, trawler, west bengal