Bengal to give Rs.2 lakh to quake victims’ familiesSeptember 19th, 2011 - 3:20 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 19 (IANS) The West Bengal government Monday announced Rs.2 lakh compensation for the families of each of those killed in the state by a powerful quake the previous day.
“Six people have died in our state due to the earthquake that hit the state Sunday evening. We have decided to give a compensation of Rs.2 lakh to the families of each victim who died in the disaster in our state,” Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said.
Banerjee also added that rescue teams have reached various parts of north Bengal that was hit badly by the quake, which had its epicentre in Sikkim.
“We will also assess the situation regarding damage to houses and other damage and then chalk out a compensation for that also,” said Banerjee.
Banerjee said she would be reaching Darjeeling district Monday afternoon and will hold a high-level meeting at Kurseong and take note of the whole situation.
“I will be reaching Bagdogra airport in Siliguri in the afternoon. I will hold a meeting in Kurseong and hold a meeting at 3 p.m. to assess the whole situation,” said Banerjee.
- Quake kills 10, injures over 200 in Bengal - Sep 19, 2011
- Quake kills four, injures over 100 in north Bengal - Sep 19, 2011
- 35 killed, hundreds injured in Sunday's quake in north, east India - Sep 19, 2011
- Quake kills six, injures over 100 in north Bengal - Sep 19, 2011
- Deaths, destruction as strong quake hits India, Nepal - Sep 19, 2011
- Quake toll may rise: Home secretary (Lead) - Sep 19, 2011
- Mamata gets rousing welcome in Darjeeling Hills - Oct 10, 2011
- Gurung asks Mamata for Rs.1,000 crore quake aid - Oct 11, 2011
- All bridges in Darjeeling will be checked: Mamata - Oct 23, 2011
- Mamata to seek Rs.500 crore more for quake-hit Darjeeling - Oct 11, 2011
- Mamata visits Sikkim, meets quake-affected - Sep 20, 2011
- 25 dead in earthquake: Home secretary - Sep 19, 2011
- More aid to Sikkim, will visit state soon: Mamata - Sep 19, 2011
- 42 die in Indian quake, rains hamper relief work - Sep 19, 2011
- Mild quake hits Bengal, Bihar - Mar 28, 2012
Tags: bagdogra airport, chief minister, day six, disaster, earthquake, epicentre, kurseong, lakh, mamata banerjee, monday afternoon, north bengal, powerful quake, quake victims, rs 2, sikkim, siliguri, state chief, sunday evening, west bengal government