Bengal scientist gets bailApril 17th, 2012 - 10:27 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 17 (IANS) A West Bengal court Tuesday granted bail to internationally acclaimed scientist Partho Sarothi Roy who was put behind bars for taking part in an anti-eviction drive, his lawyer said.
The relief comes a day after eminent national and international personalities including US-based academician-intellectual Noam Chomsky wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking Roy’s release.
“Partha Sarothi Roy was granted bail today (Tuesday) by the court of additional chief judicial magistrate (Alipore) Shahnawaz Khan. He will be released from the correctional home (jail) tomorrow (Wednesday),” Roy’s counsel Shankar Mukherjee told IANS.
An assistant professor at the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research at Kalyani in Nadia district, Roy was arrested with 68 others April 8 for their alleged involvement in a clash with police during a rally April 4.
Roy had participated in the rally which was taken out after the state government March 30 demolished some shanties in Nonadanga, east of the city.
Even though 62 of the people arrested were released, Roy, along with six others, was sent to police custody.
- Ominous signs for democracy in Bengal: Kolkata scientist - Apr 18, 2012
- Slum dwellers, police clash in Kolkata again - Apr 28, 2012
- Chomsky, others write to PM protesting Bengal police excesses - Apr 16, 2012
- Two Bengal professors asked to explain 'anti-government comments' - Jun 08, 2012
- Kolkata hospital fire: Director gets bail - Apr 12, 2012
- Mamata's nephew gets bail - Mar 02, 2012
- Human rights activists beaten up in Kolkata - Apr 12, 2012
- Chomsky, 81 others, bat for Binayak Sen (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- Kolkata Slum dwellers' eviction a crime: Binayak Sen - Apr 29, 2012
- Slum dwellers on hunger strike in Kolkata - Apr 12, 2012
- AMRI fire: Three more get bail - Apr 03, 2012
- Toongate: Kolkata continues to protest - Apr 16, 2012
- Intellectuals protest Mamata regime's 'irrationality' - Apr 17, 2012
- Israel Vetoes The Entry Of The American Intellectual, Noam Chomsky, Into The West Bank - May 18, 2010
- Freed American female hiker summoned to Iran to stand trial over spying charges - Feb 01, 2011
Tags: assistant professor, indian institute of science, indian institute of science education and research, international personalities, jail tomorrow, judicial magistrate, kalyani, manmohan, manmohan singh, nadia district, noam chomsky, partha, police custody, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, science education, shahnawaz, shanties, state government, west bengal