Bengal hooch tragedy prime suspect surrenders (Lead)January 16th, 2012 - 8:57 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 16 (IANS) Noor Islam Sheikh alias Khora Badshah, prime suspect in the Sangrampur hooch tragedy in which 171 people were killed, surrendered before a court in West Bengal’s South 24-Parganas district Monday, police said. He was sent to 14 days in police custody.
The Criminal Investigation Department (CID), which is probing the liquor tragedy, said Sheikh gave himself up at the additional chief judicial magistrate’s court in Diamond Harbour.
“He has been sent to 14 days’ police remand. We have brought him to the CID headquarters at Bhavani Bhaban for interrogation,” Deputy Inspector General (Operations) CID K. Jayaraman told IANS.
With this, the total number of arrests in the case has gone up to 15. Among those arrested are Sheikh’s wife, Nurjahan Bibi.
At least 171 people — mostly masons, labourers and hawkers — perished after consuming spurious liquor at shanties near Sangrampur railway station of South 24-Parganas district Dec 13-14 last year.
- Bengal hooch tragedy prime suspect surrenders - Jan 16, 2012
- Four arrested for Bengal hooch tragedy (Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
- Three arrested in hooch tragedy case - Dec 25, 2011
- Bengal hooch tragedy: Charge sheet against 23 filed - Feb 11, 2012
- Mamata to lead rally against illegal liquor Dec 30 - Dec 23, 2011
- Hooch sellers want financial package from Mamata - Dec 22, 2011
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 167 (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 171, official suspended (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 148 (Second Intro Roundup, correcting figure in headline) - Dec 16, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 143 (Intro Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Calcutta HC stays compensation to hooch victims' families - Feb 07, 2012
- Hooch sellers to be helped into alternate trade: Mamata - Dec 23, 2011
- WB Congress demands CBI probe in Hooch tragedy - Dec 17, 2011
- Hooch tragedy triggers familiar political blame game (West Bengal Newsletter) - Dec 18, 2011
- Many deaths in hooch tragedy due to government's negligence: Left - Dec 17, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,