‘Benazir killed for backing Lal Masjid operation’February 12th, 2012 - 4:45 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 12 (IANS) Former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto was assassinated for supporting the Lal Masjid operation, an anti-terrorism court has been told.
Dawn quoted Magistrate Taufiq Ahmed, who recorded confessional statements of the accused Rafaqat Hussain, Husnain Gul and Aitzaz Shah Feb 13, 2008 as saying that they wanted to kill Bhutto because of the deaths of 23 people in the operation.
Regretting the incident, the accused said they would accept any punishment awarded to them, Ahmed added.
Then president Pervez Musharraf ordered the Lal Masjid operation against fundamentalist Islamic militants in July 2007.
On Saturday, during the hearing of the Bhutto assassination case in Rawalpindi’s Central Jail, the magistrate read out the confessional statements before the anti-terrorism court.
According to the statements, the accused received Rs. 360,000 from militant leader Baitullah Mehsood while his associates, Abdullah alias Saddam and Qari Ismail, provided them two suicide bombers Saeed alias Bilal and Ikramullah.
- FIA holds 'Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan' responsible for Benazir's murder - Oct 26, 2010
- Benazir killing accused stands third in school exam - Aug 02, 2011
- Taliban killed Benazir Bhutto: Probe - Oct 26, 2010
- Taliban responsible for Benazir's killing, says probe (Lead) - Oct 26, 2010
- Pak Punjab police claims resolving Benazir assassination plot - Apr 15, 2010
- Mumbai attack: Indian envoy meets Pakistani minister - Dec 27, 2011
- India welcomes Pakistan judicial commission's visit - Nov 05, 2011
- Cop accused of 'intentionally' decreasing Benazir's security during assassination rally - Jan 14, 2011
- Pak Anti-Terrorism Court indicts Qadri in Salman Taseer murder case - Feb 14, 2011
- Pakistan court issues arrest warrant for Musharraf - Feb 13, 2011
- Pakistan waits for Indian response over judicial panel - Nov 20, 2011
- RSS' Aseemanand charged for Mecca Masjid blast (Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Kasab's confessional statement presented before Pak Supreme Court - May 12, 2010
- Benazir Bhutto was killed by the Taliban: report - Nov 16, 2010
- Pakistans most wanted list released - Dec 25, 2008
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,