Below normal monsoon likely this year (Lead)June 21st, 2011 - 8:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 21 (IANS) Rainfall in the country during the current monsoon season is expected to be below normal, the meteorological department’s second monsoon forecast said Tuesday, in a turnaround from its prediction of normal rains.
“Rainfall all over the country as a whole from June to September is most likely to be below normal, between 90-96 percent,” Ajit Tyagi, director general of India Meteorological Department (IMD), told reporters here.
According to IMD, in the month of July rainfall over the country as a whole is likely to be 93 percent while in August it is likely to be 94 percent.
“Over the four broad geographical regions of the country, rainfall over northwest India is likely to be 97 percent, over north-east and central it shall be 95 percent and 94 percent over the south peninsula,” Tyagi added.
The IMD had, in April, forecast a normal monsoon of 98 percent, with a plus-minus factor of five percent.
Meanwhile, the monsoon is expected to hit Delhi in a week’s time, around June 27-29, said Tyagi.
“However, after getting week in the first week of July, it is expected to revive,” he added.
In the rest of north India, it is expected to arrive by the first week of July, he added.
The southwest monsoon set in over Kerala May 29, three days before the normal date of June 1.
- Monsoon likely to be below normal - Jun 21, 2011
- India's monsoon likely to be normal: Deshmukh (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- India monsoon likely to be normal (Second Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Monsoon likely to be normal (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Monsoon to be normal this year: Weather office (Lead) - Jul 30, 2010
- Monsoon hits Kerala, IMD says delay is ok (Second Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Less rains likely in August-September: IMD - Aug 02, 2012
- Monsoon to be a week late in Delhi, says IMD - Jun 28, 2012
- IMD says monsoon likely normal despite scanty rains - Jun 22, 2012
- India to have normal monsoon this year: Bansal - Apr 19, 2011
- Monsoon hits Kerala, IMD says delay is ok (Roundup) - Jun 05, 2012
- Monsoon to be normal this year: Weather office - Jul 30, 2010
- Monsoon still playing hide-and-seek - Jun 30, 2012
- Mercury dips as monsoon arrives in Delhi (Second Lead) - Jun 26, 2011
- No need to fear drought or flood this year: Earth Sciences Minister (Interview) - Jul 31, 2011
Tags: ajit, director general, geographical regions, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, june 21, june 27, kerala, monsoon season, month of july, New Delhi, north india, northwest india, rainfall, south peninsula, southwest monsoon, turnaround, tyagi