Beijing condemns attempts to sabotage torch relay in LondonApril 7th, 2008 - 12:18 am ICT by admin
Beijing, April 6 (Xinhua) A Beijing Olympic official Sunday strongly criticised the attempt by some “pro-Tibet independence” activists to sabotage the torch relay event in London, describing it as an obvious act of defying the Olympic spirit. A spokesman from the torch relay centre of the Beijing Olympic Organising Committee said as the highest symbol of the Olympic spirit, the Olympic flame represents peace, friendship and progress.
Under the authorisation of the International Olympic Committee, the Beijing Olympic torch relay is taking its journey of harmony throughout the world, sharing the passion and glory of the Olympics with the world, and has received warm welcome from the people en route, he added.
However, a few “pro-Tibet independence” activists attempted to sabotage the torch relay in London today, which is a serious violation of the Olympic spirit, as the Olympic flame belongs to the world, the spokesman said. The act will surely arouse the resentment of the peace-loving people, and is bound to fail, he added.
London welcomes the Beijing Olympic flame Sunday as part of the global Olympic Torch Relay in the run-up to the Beijing Olympic Games. As a grand festival in London, tens of thousands of people lined the route of the relay to cheer the event, far outnumbering the protesters.
Yet some protesters tried to sabotage the torch relay, by trying to grab the torch or extinguish it, stirring clashes with British police. At least 25 people were arrested.
The torch is travelling through 10 London boroughs from Wembley in the west to Greenwich in east London, with each borough marking its arrival with entertainment and events, bringing London’s colour and vibrancy to life while showcasing the capital’s famous landmarks.
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- 2012 London Olympics torch relay to pass through 1,000 places - Nov 07, 2011
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- London 2012 organisers to auction Olympic torches - Jun 21, 2012
- Amitabh to carry Olympic torch - Jul 26, 2012
- Olympic Torch Relay to showcase iconic North West - Jun 20, 2012
- Chinese pianist Lang carries Olympic torch in London - Jul 23, 2012
- England football legend Jack Charlton to run Olympic torch relay - Jun 15, 2012
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- Billy Mitchell to carry Olympic flame through Albert Square - Nov 15, 2011
- Olympic Flame reaches Acropolis for handover ceremony - May 17, 2012
- Olympic flame arrives in Britain - May 19, 2012
- Sochi Olympics torch relay to be longest one - Aug 13, 2012