Before Oscars, it’s anti-Oscars timeFebruary 21st, 2009 - 10:21 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Feb 21 (DPA) For an industry that indulges in mere entertainment, Hollywood takes itself pretty seriously. But the overbearing self-importance displayed by many who work in the cinematic trades will be exquisitely deflated Saturday night when a group of renegade movie buffs delight in naming the worst movie moments of the year.
The dubious Golden Raspberry dishonours, affectionately known as the Razzie awards, are now in their 29th year and never seem to lack worthy candidates.
This year, the favourite for Razzie notoriety is the grossly overrated Canadian comedy star Mike Myers, who has a leading seven nominations for his truly awful movie “The Love Guru”.
The movie was a worthy successor to the crude and unimaginative “Austin Powers” series, and got its just deserves at box offices, where it was one of the year’s most notable flops.
The film bomb was judged to be so bad by the hardened Razzie nominators that they chose it to compete in all the major categories including acting dishonours for Myers, Verne Troyer, Jessica Alba and even Oscar-winner Ben Kingsley.
But “The Love Guru” has plenty of competition. Also featuring highly on the list of nominees was Paris Hilton, whose every screen moment seemed to yield a Razzie nod. She was nominated for worst actress for the classic comedy “The Hottie and the Nottie”, worst supporting actress for “Repo: The Genetic Opera” and as one-half of the year’s worst screen couple together with both Hottie costar Christine Lakin or Joel David Moore.
Hottie will compete for worst movie with “The Love Guru”, “The Happening”, “In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale” and “Meet the Spartans”.
Beside Myers, the worst-actor nominees include Eddie Murphy for “Meet Dave”, Al Pacino for both “88 Minutes” and “Righteous Kill”, and Mark Wahlberg, who also scored a double nomination for “The Happening” and “Max Payne”.
No less than nine women are vying for worst actress, thanks to an ensemble nomination for the cast of “The Women”, which featured Annette Bening, Eva Mendes, Debra Messing, Jada Pinkett-Smith and Meg Ryan. The other nominees are Cameron Diaz (”What Happens in Vegas”), Kate Hudson (”Fool’s Gold” and “My Best Friend’s Girl”), Alba and Hilton.
The biggest winner might turn out to be German director Uwe Boll, who will be the recipient of the worst career achievement for such timeless gems as the “Bloodrayne” series, “Alone in the Dark” and “House of the Dead”.
Boll, who specialises in adapting video games to movies was also nominated as worst supporting actor for “Postal” and “1968: Tunnel Rats”, while his “In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale” is up for the worst-movie award.
Alone among cinematic auteurs, he seems to actually regard being the recipient of a Razzie with the honour it deserves, and even apologised in an online interview that he would be unable to attend in person to accept the prize.
“I will be filming out in South Africa, so I cannot be there in person,” he said.
Asked whether anyone else might deserve the worst career achievement more than him, he was indignant: “No one, only me,” he answered.
Film fans may have other opinions, but at least with the Razzies they can do something about it. The Golden Raspberry allows anyone to vote - as long as they prove that they care enough to pay a $25 registration fee.
- The annual Razzies shortlist announced - Jan 07, 2011
- Cruise, Wahlberg, Reeves to get worst actor dishonour - Jan 08, 2009
- Shyamalan, Hilton, Myers win worst Oscar parody award nominations - Jan 22, 2009
- 'The Last Airbender' dominates 2011 Razzie Awards - Feb 28, 2011
- 'Eclipse', 'The Last Airbender' up for nine Razzies - Jan 25, 2011
- Los Angeles set for big Oscar night - Feb 23, 2009
- Winners List for the Razzie Awards 2011 - Feb 28, 2011
- Check Out Hollywood's Worst Actors Nominees At The Razzie Awards - Jan 25, 2011
- Megan Fox, Jennifer Aniston, Kristen Stewart land Razzie nominations - Jan 25, 2011
- Tom Cruise, Mark Wahlberg, Keanu Reeves up for Worst Actor gong at Razzies - Jan 08, 2009
- Sandra Bullock may be named best and worst actress of 2009! - Feb 03, 2010
- Mike Myers offered chance to redeem himself by Hindu religious leaders - Feb 27, 2009
- Celebrities should support Bollywood's Razzies: Cyrus Broacha - Feb 26, 2011
- Sly, Denise Richards nominated for "Kela" awards for worst in Bollywood - Feb 23, 2010
- Sandler worse amongst worst: Gets 11 Razzies nominations (Lead) - Feb 26, 2012