Beaten to death in Bihar for stealing a litchiMay 12th, 2008 - 3:12 pm ICT by admin
Patna, May 12 (IANS) The ugly face of feudal Bihar has reared its head once again with a 13-year-old extreme backward caste boy allegedly being beaten to death by a landed upper caste villager for plucking litchis from his garden. Police sources said Monday that Raj Kumar Sah was mercilessly beaten by Lakhan Mishra in Dwarikanagar village in Muzaffarpur district, about 80 km from here.
Raj Kumar was grazing cattle when he plucked a few litchis from Mishra’s garden Saturday, said his father Bikram Sah. “A minor dispute over plucking of a few litchis and the grazing of cattle angered the owner so much that he beat my son to death,” Bikram Sah said in his police complaint.
He added that the body was thrown into a pond, from where it was fished out Sunday.
Deputy Superintendent of Police Shankar Jha said a case had been filed against Mishra who was absconding.
- Fickle weather can take juice out of litchi this season - Apr 29, 2012
- Villagers beat three thieves to death - May 19, 2012
- The beer hug: Bihar emerging as brewery hub - Jan 16, 2012
- Bihar bypoll peaceful, 55 percent voter turnout - Nov 30, 2011
- Two more children drown in pond in Rajasthan - Aug 19, 2012
- Dalit boy beaten to death for collecting wood from orchard - Aug 17, 2012
- Boy killed in Bihar for plucking mangoes - May 25, 2012
- Girl beaten to death for plucking litchis - May 29, 2008
- Desire for litchis proves fatal for 12-year-old - May 12, 2009
- United Breweries to make wine out of litchis in Bihar - Apr 30, 2010
- Six get life in jail for double murder - Sep 28, 2011
- World Bank to fund marketing of Bihar's Shahi litchis - Jun 05, 2010
- Man burnt to death in Ghaziabad caste conflict - Jul 24, 2010
- Three to die for killing four-year-old - May 25, 2012
- The disappearing ponds of Kashmir - Mar 13, 2012