Beam at Delhi flyover causes male nurse’s deathApril 29th, 2012 - 6:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 29 (IANS) A male nurse riding a motorcycle was killed when an iron beam fell on him after it was hit by a speeding truck on west Delhi’s Janak Setu flyover, police said Sunday. The truck driver has been arrested.
The horizontal beam, fixed across the width of the two carriageways of the flyover a few feet above the ground, was meant to prevent the entry of heavy vehicles and restricting the height of vehicles approaching it.
Jasram Meena, 32, a resident of west Delhi’s Dabri and an employee of a government hospital, died on the spot after the incident around 10 p.m. Saturday. His wife was discharged from hospital after first aid.
Meena, coming from the Delhi Cantonment area and going towards his home, was on a motorcycle with his wife. The speeding tanker was in the other carriageway and moving in the opposite direction towards the cantonment when it collided with the beam.
After the truck hit the beam it fell in the other carriageway, trapping the victim under it.
The flyover in Mayapuri area was opened to traffic Saturday after remaining closed for repairs since June 2011.
Truck driver Bhim Yadav, 55, a resident of Azamgarh in Uttar Pradesh, was arrested for rash and negligent driving.
- Two men killed in freak Delhi accident (Second Lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- Car driver killed after collision with truck - Dec 26, 2010
- Six killed in Delhi road accidents (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2012
- Biker crushed to death by truck - Jan 22, 2011
- Two men die in freak Delhi accident (Lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- Delhi's killer roads: Recalling some major accidents - Feb 20, 2012
- Two killed in Delhi accident - Dec 22, 2011
- 13 injured as bus falls off Delhi-Noida expressway (Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Truck driver dies in crash after running down cyclist - Jul 15, 2012
- Four killed in road accidents - Sep 04, 2011
- Rs.10 lakh awarded to road accident victim's family - May 27, 2011
- Minor girl, two others killed in Delhi accidents - Aug 10, 2012
- BSF trooper run over by speeding vehicle - Feb 22, 2012
- Three killed in road accidents - Feb 06, 2012
- Family of accident victim gets Rs.10 lakh compensation - Apr 21, 2011
Tags: april 29, azamgarh, cantonment area, carriageway, delhi cantonment, first aid, flyover, government hospital, heavy vehicles, horizontal beam, janak, male nurse, motorcycle, New Delhi, rash, setu, traffic, west delhi, yadav