Be role models against graft, president tells teachersSeptember 5th, 2011 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 5 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil Monday urged teachers to be “role models” by instructing students to fight corruption and be honest citizens.
?In present times, values such as hard work, integrity, honesty and fighting against corruption… are very essential amongst our population,? Patil said after giving the national teachers awards here.
?You must be role models who instill good habits amongst the upcoming generation. You may not be leaders, however, you have the capabilities of creating leaders of the future,? she said.
The president, along with Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal and Ministers of State for Human Resource Development D. Purandeswari and E. Ahamed, gave the awards to over 300 teachers from across the country.
She also stressed that moral education was as important as conventional subjects.
?Knowledge without values is incomplete. It is a value system that can prepare the younger generation to become responsible citizens who contribute to the welfare of society and advancement of the human race,? the president said.
Instituted in 1958, the National Award to Teachers are given by the president on Teacher?s Day every year, which is celebrated in the memory of former president Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan.
- Improve quality of education: President (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Improve quality of education: President on Teachers Day - Sep 05, 2012
- Improve quality of education: President (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Can't thank our teachers enough: B-town on Teachers Day - Sep 05, 2012
- CABE to form panel on teachers' training - Jun 06, 2012
- Let us salute our teachers: Meira Kumar - Sep 04, 2010
- Today is World Teachers' Day 2011 - Oct 05, 2011
- Text of president's speech - Aug 14, 2012
- BJP against passage of Lokpal bill: Sibal - Dec 27, 2011
- Shift focus from enrolment to what goes on in class: PM - Sep 04, 2012
- Himachal teacher donates national award money - Sep 05, 2011
- President Patil gives a call to make education amalgam of knowledge - Oct 23, 2010
- BJP against passage of Lokpal bill, says Sibal (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Ragging must end in all educational institutions: Patil - Sep 05, 2010
- Hectic efforts to resolve crisis as anti-corruption crusade swells (Evening Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
Tags: ahamed, conventional subjects, development minister, former president, good habits, honest citizens, human resource development, kapil sibal, leaders of the future, ministers of state, moral education, national teachers, New Delhi, present times, president pratibha patil, purandeswari, radhakrishnan, responsible citizens, role models, younger generation