BCCI mum as Dhoni plays hide and seekJanuary 12th, 2009 - 7:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 12 (IANS) The Indian cricket board treats the non-availability of Mahendra Singh Dhoni to play for East Zone in the Duleep Trophy as its internal matter and is unwilling to say anything. Board secretary N. Srinivasan was livid when reminded of board’s fiat that all contracted players should play in domestic tournaments as they are free from international commitments.
“I am not going to answer the question, this is an internal matter of the board and I can’t tell everyone who is brushing his teeth and who is not,” a miffed Srinivasan told IANS when asked if the Indian skipper has been exempted from playing in domestic tournaments.
East Zone selection committee chairman Raja Venkat, too, hung up the phone, refusing to take the call on Dhoni who was not considered for selection after the zonal selectors could not get in touch with him. Even Jharkhand selector Jodh Singh could not throw any light on his whereabouts.
A day after the Duleep Trophy selection, Dhoni was found holidaying at his India teammate Robin Uthappa’s estate in Sunticoppa in Coorg district of Karnataka.
The Duleep Trophy tournament begins Jan 22 and the East Zone selectors are hoping that Dhoni will get back to them and join the team.
In the absence of Dhoni, the selectors picked former India opener Shiv Sunder Das of Orissa to lead the side.
Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid and Zaheer Khan, have all turned out for their state sides in the Ranji Trophy knockout rounds after back-to-back series against Australia and England. Even former captain Sourav Ganguly came out of retirement to play for Bengal in a bid to help the side to qualify for the elite group.
- Shukla blasts Venkat for being dropped from East Zone squad - Mar 12, 2012
- Gambhir to lead in T20, ODIs in absence of Dhoni (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Sanjay Jagdale to be BCCI secretary, Ajay Shirkey treasurer - Sep 18, 2011
- BCCI trying to find solution to selector issue - Jan 08, 2009
- Pak selectors miffed with Malik, Yousuf for choosing Bangladesh money over country - Feb 05, 2011
- PCB irked with Malik over unavailability for Pentangular Cup - Feb 20, 2011
- BCCI directive clears air on Duleep Trophy selection - Jan 10, 2009
- We are playing lot of cricket, injuries will happen: Srinivasan - Feb 16, 2010
- Ranji Trophy format tweaked a second time in 10 years - Jul 16, 2012
- World Cup-winning team felicitated, lifetime award for Durrani - May 31, 2011
- Srinivasan takes charge as BCCI president; terminates Kochi's contract (Lead) - Sep 19, 2011
- 'BCCI will prepare fair wickets' - Jan 24, 2012
- Ranji Trophy: Sourav-led technical body differs with working committee - Feb 17, 2012
- Yuvraj makes memorable comeback (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Hockey national could go the Ranji Trophy way - Jun 15, 2011