Battered two-year-old baby recovering (Lead)January 26th, 2012 - 8:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 26 (IANS) Bitten and battered with severe head injuries, a two-year-old baby who was admitted to a hospital here last week is “showing signs of recovery”, doctors said Thursday.
Falak was brought to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences’ (AIIMS) Trauma Centre around 2.15 p.m. Jan 18 in an unconsciousness state with injury marks all over her body by a 15-year-old girl who claimed to be her mother.
The girl is absconding, a police officer said.
“The baby has been unconsciousness since the day she was admitted but she is showing signs of recovering,” Sumit Sinha, an associate professor of neurosurgery and one of the doctors treating Falak, told IANS.
“She has a fractured skull and there is blood clotting on the right side of her brain. It appears that either her head was smashed against a wall or she suffered a blow from a heavy object. Her left hand is fractured while there is swelling on her right hand. There are human bite marks all over her face, forehead and right leg,” he added.
According to doctors, Falak is on ventilator support and has even suffered a cardiac arrest.
“On Jan 18, when the child was admitted she was in coma. Her surviving chances are very less due to her severe brain injuries. It might take more than a month to drag her out of her unconsciousness. A team of around eight doctors are attending to her,” added Sinha.
While admitting the baby, the girl said that she lived along with her ‘husband’ Rajkumar Gupta in a paying guest accommodation in Mahipalpur area of south Delhi, said Nirmal Thakur, spokesperson of AIIMS Trauma Centre.
Thakur added that the girl fled on the same day the baby was admitted.
“When she was contacted on her given number, it was found to be switched off,” said Thakur.
- Battered two-year-old baby recovering - Jan 26, 2012
- Battered two-year-old baby recovering (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Battered baby battles for life, parents untraceable - Jan 27, 2012
- Battered baby critical, government offers support (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Baby Falak critical, next 48 hours till Thursday crucial (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Baby Falak critical, police continue search for parents (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Battered baby continues to be critical - Jan 28, 2012
- Baby Falak taken off ventilator, improvement in health (Lead) - Feb 03, 2012
- Baby Falak critical, may undergo another brain surgery - Jan 30, 2012
- Battered baby still critical, police hunt for parents (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Baby Falak critical, may undergo another brain surgery (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- We will help battered baby: Dikshit - Jan 27, 2012
- Baby Falak undergoes brain surgery, still critical (Second Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- 'Baby Falak's chances of survival less than 50 percent' - Jan 31, 2012
- Falak still critical, may undergo another brain surgery - Feb 19, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,