Batsmen motivated to do well against Daredevils: PollockApril 26th, 2012 - 11:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 26 (IANS) Mumbai Indians mentor and coach Shaun Pollock Thursday backed his batsmen to do well against Delhi Daredevils, against whom they had suffered a humiliating loss in the first-leg in the Indian Premier League (IPL).
Mumbai Indians in their last game at home against Daredevils were shot out for 92 for their lowest score in the IPL. This time they are eager to do well and inspired to bounce back from their seven-wicket loss.
“The batsmen are motivated to do well here. After all the way we played at home against Daredevils, they have a reason to do well here,” Pollock told reporters on the eve of the Mumbai Indians and Daredevils clash at the Ferozeshah Kotla.
The former South African captain also said that Harbhajan, who has bagged just one wicket in seven matches so far, would strike form soon.
“Harbhajan sets very high standards for himself and his performance hasn’t been that bad. Obviously, he hasn’t got a lot wickets but that is not something we are worried about,” Pollock said.
When asked whether Harbhajan was bowling flat in Twenty20: “It depends on what situation you are bowling and to whom you are bowling. There are times when he is coming to bowl with two set batsmen at the crease. It is difficult to throw the ball up in these situations as to when you are bowling to a new batsmen. But there is no doubt about the fact that he has played a lot of cricket here and knows the conditions very well.”
Pollock also said that Sri Lankan speedster Lasith Malinga, who recently joined the squad after an brief injury lay-off, is the best person to decided whether he is fit to bowl.
“Lasith knows his body best. He will understand how he feels after bowling today. He will take a call on his availability (for tomorrow’s match),” he said.
Pollock also defended Harbhajan’s decision to give Robin Peterson just one over in the last game against Kings XI. Peterson played a cameo to take Mumbai Indians home in a thrilling finish.
“It was decided that Robie (Peterson) will come into bowl at later stages, but then something happened in the previous over which forced the skipper to change the decision. Hopefully, he will bowl more in the coming matches,” he said.
Pollock was confident that they could repeat their last performance against Daredevils as well.
“Obviously, this kind of performance boost the confidence and also help gain momentum and self belief,” he said.
Pollock also spoke on Indian government’s decision to nominate Sachin Tendulkar as a Rajya Sabha member.
“I don’t know anything about parliament. For me MP means ‘My Player’,” he said.
Daredevils coach Eric Simmons said that the return of Sachin Tendulkar will pose a threat for other teams.
“Sachin is back, that makes a difference. They (Mumbai) are coming off a good win,” Simmons said.
Simmons said the Daredevils would look to capitalize on their big win against Mumbai Indians in the first-leg.
“Good win against them last time. We will take the positives from that game,” he said.
Simmons, however, expected Mumbai Indians to bounce back strongly.
- Tendulkar praises Malinga after comprehensive win - Apr 10, 2011
- IPL is changing the face of world cricket: Pollock - May 07, 2012
- Mumbai Indians opt to field against Daredevils - Apr 27, 2012
- Advantage Mumbai, says coach Pollock - Oct 06, 2011
- Delhi Daredevils thrash Mumbai Indians by seven wickets (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Sehwag stars in Daredevils' 37-run win over Mumbai Indians (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Harbhajan concerned with his woeful form - Apr 28, 2012
- Slinga Malinga shines as Mumbai Indians win by eight wickets (Lead) - Apr 10, 2011
- Happy to win tournament: Lasith - Oct 10, 2011
- Mumbai Indians choose to field against Super Kings - May 06, 2012
- Daredevils play on another fresh Kotla wicket - May 03, 2011
- Dwayne Smith wins last-ball thriller for Mumbai Indians (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- IPL Scoreboard: Mumbai Indians vs. Pune Warriors - May 04, 2012
- Mumbai Indians edge out Pune Warriors by one run (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Mumbai Indians opt to bat against Pune Warriors - May 03, 2012
Tags: cameo, clash, crease, cricket, indians, ipl, lasith malinga, last game, mentor, mumbai, New Delhi, no doubt, premier league, robin peterson, seven wicket, shaun pollock, speedster, sri lankan, twenty20, wickets