Basanta Utsav celebrated in Tagore’s ShantiniketanFebruary 28th, 2010 - 2:03 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 28 (IANS) Thousands of people Sunday celebrated Holi or Basanta Utsav (spring festival) with songs, dance and other cultural programmes in West Bengal’s Shantiniketan, ‘an abode of peace’ established by nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore.
Shantiniketan, about 180 km from Kolkata, was a picture of gaiety as students and teachers of Visva Bharati University took out rallies within the campus celebrating the festive fervour and danced to the tunes of Tagore’s songs.
Many people were seen smearing colour (abir or gulal) on each other and exchanging sweets and pleasantries to mark the festival of Basanta Utsav.
Tagore had reintroduced Holi as Basanta Utsav in the Visva Bharati University he founded in Birbhum district’s Shantiniketan.
Tagore first started Shantiniketan as an open-air school but gradually it turned into an internationally-acclaimed university and was named as Visva Bharati. Over the years, Shantiniketan became a common platform where cultures of the east and the western world could mingle, strengthening the fundamental concept of world peace.
According to university sources, thousands of tourists from within the country and abroad also thronged Shantiniketan Sunday to soak in the colours of Basanta Utsav.
The festival fervour was also seen in other parts of the state, a day before Holi is celebrated in northern and western India.
As the day progressed, people were seen moving around in groups in their respective neighbourhoods, hurling water balloons and smearing coloured powder on one another.
- West Bengal celebrates Holi with traditional fervour - Mar 19, 2011
- West Bengal celebrates Dol, Holi - Mar 08, 2012
- Riot of colours as Holi celebrated with gaiety (Roundup) - Mar 08, 2012
- Riot of colours as Holi celebrated with gaiety (Intro Roundup) - Mar 08, 2012
- West Bengal celebrates Dol Yatra - Feb 28, 2010
- Uneasy calm in Tagore's abode of peacae after student violence - Mar 02, 2010
- West Bengal Governor M.K. Narayanan visits Shantiniketan - Mar 05, 2010
- Delhi revels peacefully in Holi colours (Lead) - Mar 20, 2011
- West Bengal celebrates Holi - Mar 01, 2010
- West Bengal candidates play Holi to woo voters - Mar 19, 2011
- West Bengal celebrates Tagore's 150th birth anniversary - May 09, 2011
- West Bengal celebrates Holi - Mar 11, 2009
- India, Bangladesh to strengthen cultural ties - Sep 11, 2012
- A riot of colours in Vrindavan - Mar 08, 2012
- Delhi revels in Holi colours - Mar 01, 2010
Tags: abir, abode, birbhum district, fundamental concept, gaiety, gulal, holi, kolkata, neighbourhoods, nobel laureate, pleasantries, rabindranath tagore, shantiniketan, spring festival, university sources, visva bharati university, water balloons, west bengal, western india, world peace