Bargain-hunting BASF buys yet another firmOctober 28th, 2008 - 8:46 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, Oct 28 (DPA) BASF, the world’s biggest chemicals company, unveiled yet another takeover Tuesday, prolonging a string of acquisitions in the midst of the current market slump.A day after announcing a 581-million-euro ($726 million) bid for Revus Energy, a Norwegian company with 60 oil and gas concessions under the North Sea, BASF said it has agreed to acquire a polyurethane business belonging to Recticel of Belgium.
Analysts say they expect Ludwigshafen-based BASF to report a modest profit increase when it publishes third-quarter figures this Thursday.
BASF has also expressed interest in purchasing Ciba Holding of Switzerland. Purchasing that company would give BASF a commanding position in paper chemicals and plastic additives.
BASF has made an offer of about $3 billion to shareholders of Ciba Holding. The offer will expire at the end of Tuesday.
The acquisition from Recticel is much smaller. No price was disclosed but a BASF spokesman said it was “a medium double-digit number of million euros”.
The announcement appeared to indicate BASF was still willing to spend on takeovers despite the looming global recession.
The Recticel subsidiary makes polyurethane to “encapsulate” glass, typically to tightly glue car windscreens into a car’s steel frame.
The glass encapsulation technology is used for seven percent of all glass applications in the automotive industry worldwide and will also be used to considerably simplify and speed up the production process of solar panels, the statement said.
- Latin American firm gains control of Dutch telecom - Jun 29, 2012
- Dr. Reddy's buys BASF manufacturing unit in US - Apr 30, 2008
- Don't spare the rich, remove black films from cars: SC - Jul 19, 2012
- EU offers $28 mn aid to Syria - Jun 09, 2012
- French nuclear group sells stake in Canadian mining project - Mar 03, 2012
- Amazing fungus can consume discarded plastic - May 18, 2012
- Cartier pays tribute to restored 1911 Rolls Royce (With Image) - Mar 15, 2011
- McDonald's offers $3 for recalled Shrek glass - Jun 09, 2010
- Foreign takeover of Indian drug-makers leaves ministry worried - Aug 04, 2011
- Latvian airline sells cars during flights - Dec 13, 2011
- Drive against tinted glasses on cars in Delhi from Friday - May 03, 2012
- Mexican firm inks floating hotels deal in Spain - Sep 20, 2012
- Google buys Motorola Mobility for $12.5 billion - Aug 16, 2011
- Former Portugal striker Pinto fined for tax evasion - Sep 11, 2012
- Titan to acquire Swiss brand for Rs.13.6 crore - Nov 16, 2011