Bareilly violence kills one, curfew onJuly 23rd, 2012 - 10:24 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 23 (IANS) At least one person was killed and several injured when communal violence broke out in Uttar Pradesh’s Bareilly district late Sunday, police said Monday.
Trouble erupted when some Muslims objected to music played by the Kanwariyas or the Shiv devotees who were returning from Haridwar, a police source said.
Outraged, the Kanwariyas resorted to violence, vandalized shops and public property and set on fire many vehicles in the Jogi Navada locality, a police officer said. One person was killed in the firing in Math Chowki area.
According to police, at least two dozen people were injured in the violence that broke out in many parts of the city and continued past midnight.
Hundreds of people emerged from their houses in Shahdana. A police team was attacked in Azamnagar. Many policemen, including the superintendent of police (SP), were injured in the stone pelting.
Police lobbed tear gas shells at the rioting mobs but could not contain the violence.
- One killed in Bareilly violence (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Curfew partially lifted in Bareilly - Jul 25, 2012
- 50 held for Uttar Pradesh communal clash - Aug 10, 2011
- Curfew on in Moradabad, no fresh violence - Aug 11, 2011
- Curfew further relaxed in Moradabad - Aug 12, 2011
- Curfew relaxed in Moradabad (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Curfew lifted from Uttar Pradesh city - Aug 21, 2011
- Moradabad curfew to be relaxed for 16 hours - Aug 16, 2011
- Curfew relaxed for nine hours in Moradabad - Aug 13, 2011
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash - Apr 18, 2012
- No curfew for 18 hours in Moradabad now - Aug 18, 2011
- Kanwar Yatra not to go beyond Haridwar - Jun 19, 2012
- BJP leaders held on way to strife-hit Bareilly in UP - Aug 25, 2012
- Man killed in east Delhi firing was family's sole provider - Sep 03, 2012
- One killed, 14 injured in Kashmir clash - Sep 18, 2010
Tags: bareilly district, communal violence, curfew, devotees, gas shells, jogi, locality, lucknow, math, mobs, music, muslims, pelting police, police officer, police source, police team, policemen, superintendent, uttar pradesh