Barcelona move closer to Real Madrid with 4-1 winApril 8th, 2012 - 2:47 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, April 8 (IANS) FC Barcelona moved to within three points of the Spanish Primera Liga leaders Real Madrid thanks to a 4-1 away win in Zaragoza.
Although Barcelona were below their best and coach Pep Guardiola rested midfield trio of Xavi Hernandez, Sergio Busquets and Andres Iniesta, Barca had too much firepower for a spirited Zaragoza, Xinhua reported.
Carlos Aranda saw a penalty saved by Barca keeper Victor Valdes before putting the home side ahead just before the half hour Saturday.
However, Zaragoza’s lead lasted just six minutes before Carles Puyol drew level following a poor punch from Zaragoza keeper Roberto Jimenez from a corner and Lionel Messi scored his first of the night after a smart run and powerful shot.
Zaragoza then saw midfielder Abraham sent off just before half time, but dug deep and it was not until five minutes from the end that Messi scored a penalty to assure the points.
Pedro Rodriguez scored a fourth goal in injury time to give the final result a sheen, Barca’s display didn’t really deserve.
Saturday’s earlier games saw Rayo Vallecano return to form with a 6-0 thrashing of Osasuna, thanks in part to two goals from Michu. Jose Movilla had opened the scoring, while Diego Costa and Emilio Armenteros also scored as Rayo virtually assured they will be in the top flight next season.
Carlos Vela put Real Sociedad 2-0 up after 13 minutes away to Espanyol, but the home side scraped a draw thanks to an own goal and a strike from Vladimir Weiss.
Meanwhile, Getafe added to Sporting Gijon’s misery with a 2-0 win thanks to goals from Miku and Diego Castro.
- Real Madrid retain 10-point lead over Barcelona - Feb 27, 2012
- Real Madrid steer seven points clear of Barcelona - Jan 29, 2012
- Barca crush Atletico, Real thrash Rayo - Sep 25, 2011
- Real Madrid's lead shrinks to four points - Apr 09, 2012
- Real Madrid extend La Liga lead - Nov 21, 2011
- Barcelona blank Zaragoza in La Liga, Real Madrid beat Valencia - Nov 20, 2011
- Barcelona win easy in La Liga, Real maintain 10-point lead - Feb 20, 2012
- Real cruise as Barca lose in Spanish football - Nov 27, 2011
- Real Madrid on brink of La Liga title - Apr 30, 2012
- Real Madrid, Barcelona win easy in La Liga - Jan 23, 2012
- Messi scores brace as Barca keep pace with Madrid - Apr 15, 2012
- Valencia hold Barcelona to 2-2 draw - Sep 22, 2011
- Barca five points behind Real after draw against Espanyol - Jan 09, 2012
- Real, Barcelona win ahead of Clasico - Dec 05, 2011
- Barcelona beat Sporting Gijon to top Spanish League - Oct 03, 2011
Tags: andres iniesta, armenteros, busquets, carles puyol, carlos aranda, carlos vela, diego castro, fc barcelona, injury time, lionel messi, miku, movilla, pedro rodriguez, primera liga, real madrid, spanish primera, sporting gijon, victor valdes, xavi hernandez, xinhua