Barbie company to get $100 mn in Bratz caseAugust 27th, 2008 - 12:52 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Aug 27 (DPA) Barbie doll maker Mattel has been awarded $100 million in damages by a jury after it concluded that the designer of the rival Bratz dolls created the popular figures while employed at Mattel.The decision was seen as a disappointment for Mattel, which had sought up to $2 billion in punitive damages. The company’s sales of Barbie have plunged some 21 percent since the large-headed, multi-ethnic Bratz line became a hit.
The case turned on whether MGA owed damages for the entire line of Bratz dolls, or for just the first four dolls that designer Carter Bryant was believed to have created while working at Mattel.
Last month, the jury found that MGA had infringed Mattel’s copyright. But it sided Tuesday with the arguments of Bratz maker MGA that the company had built the doll’s success based largely on branding, packaging and smart development decisions.
Still pending is the judge’s decision on Mattel’s request to stop MGA selling the Bratz line, which is estimated to earn the company some $1 billion in annual sales.
MGA attorney Thomas Nolan said the verdict was “a clear message that (the jury) wants these parties to fight in the marketplace and not in the courtroom. We are disappointed that they awarded any damages, however, it is a rebuke to Mattel’s aggressive and overreaching tactics.”
Nolan said MGA would continue to sell Bratz dolls and accessories.
“We’re pleased that the jury agreed with Mattel that what MGA did was wrong and that damages were awarded,” Mattel chief executive Bob Eckert said in a statement.
- Barbie maker Mattel wins legal battle over MGA Entertainments Bratz doll - Dec 05, 2008
- Iran shutting down shops selling Barbies? - Jan 22, 2012
- Barbie doll creator dead - Jul 24, 2011
- Barbie to go bald - Apr 01, 2012
- Barbie doll-maker slammed over recruitment of models as young as 12 - Feb 13, 2011
- Barbie dolls inspired by Kardashian sisters - Jan 06, 2012
- New Barbie dolls for Olympics 2012 - Jul 26, 2012
- Recession hits 50-year-old Barbie but not Lego, other heritage brands - Dec 25, 2009
- After Katrina, Hrithik may walk the ramp for kids - Jan 13, 2012
- Will Barbie doll sport a bald look? - Jan 13, 2012
- Life-sized model of Barbie creates a buzz - Apr 20, 2011
- New Barbie collection inspired by Aussie beauties - May 05, 2010
- Walmart under fire for cutting price of black Barbies to nearly half of white ones - Mar 11, 2010
- 'Busty' Barbie Scares America's Mothers - May 25, 2010
- Barbie maker's new dolls that 'have to wax' spark outrage - Mar 12, 2011