Bar Council to hold mandatory test for budding lawyersOctober 15th, 2010 - 8:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 15 (IANS) The Bar Council of India (BCI) will hold, in December, its first-ever mandatory test for law graduates seeking to begin professional practice, the law ministry said Friday.
“The BCI will conduct the All India Bar Examination (AIBE) in nine languages across 27 cities in India on December 5, 2010,” said the ministry in a statement.
It added that the examination will be held for the law students who graduated in 2009-10 and only after passing this examination will they be able to get enrolled with various bar associations and be eligible to practice in courts of law across India.
The candidates can also apply online for the AIBE through BCI website, it said, adding that the last date for applying for the examination is Oct 31.
The BCI, the country’s apex statutory body to regulate legal education and profession and having disciplinary jurisdiction over lawyers, early this year decided to make the test mandatory for all new law graduates before allowing them to start practicing in courts.
The move is the brain child of present BCI chairman and Solicitor General of India Gopal Subramaniam, who maintains that the step is a must to enhance quality of legal professionals.
The BCI would be providing preparatory materials in nine languages for this examination to all candidates, said the statement, adding that the application forms, along with an instruction sheet for this examination would be available at all state Bar Associations offices, besides the BCI.
- All India Bar Examination mandatory for law graduates to practice in India - Oct 15, 2010
- Bar council to upload budding lawyers' exam results - Mar 14, 2011
- Budding lawyers need to pass test: BCI (Lead) - Jun 02, 2010
- Conditional practicing licence for Gujarat law graduates - Nov 29, 2010
- Gujarat law graduates challenge bar council decision - Jun 15, 2010
- Court queries Gujarat bar council on test for budding lawyers - Jun 17, 2010
- Now, pass test to practise in courts: BCI - Jun 02, 2010
- Bill that will allow foreign law firms through back door (Comment) - Aug 18, 2011
- 1.4 lakh Maharashtra, Goa lawyers join all-India strike (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- No entry for foreign lawyers, bar council tells government - Sep 28, 2010
- Nationwide lawyers' strike badly hits court proceedings (Roundup) - Jul 11, 2012
- Lawyers' strike cripples judicial work in northeast - Jul 11, 2012
- Maharashtra, Goa lawyers on strike - Jul 11, 2012
- Delhi lawyers observe strike on bar council's call - Jul 11, 2012
- Delhi High Court lawyers join strike - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: bar council of india, bar examination, bci, brain child, courts of law, disciplinary jurisdiction, gopal, last date, law graduates, law ministry, law students, legal education, legal professionals, mandatory test, preparatory materials, professional practice, solicitor general, state bar associations, statutory body, subramaniam