Bank robbed of Rs.2.4 million in DelhiNovember 17th, 2008 - 10:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 17(IANS) In a daring daylight heist, four unidentified men robbed a bank on gunpoint and fled with cash amounting to Rs 2.4 million in Samaypur Badli area on the outskirts of the national capital here Monday, the police said.The incident took place at the State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur branch in Badli Industrial area Monday morning.
“The robbers fled with the cash to the tune of Rs 2.4 million after locking 15 of the bank employees and the customers in the bank’s strongroom,” a senior police officer said.
“The bank’s branch in Badli Industrial area opened at around 9.15 a.m. and the first to reach were a lady cashier, the branch manager and an another employee. At around 9:30 a.m., the four robbers entered the premises pretending to be customers. While three of them entered inside the bank, the fourth stood guard at the entry,” the police officer added.
“The three who had entered took out guns and herded the bank employees and a sweeper into a corner and then forcibly took the keys of the lockers and strongroom from the bank manager R.N. Meena. The employees’ mobile phones were taken away and they were locked in the strongroom,” he said.
Meanwhile, the fourth robber who was waiting at the bank’s entrance brought every customer entering inside the bank to the strongroom at gunpoint, while the other three looted the premises at leisure.
“All those customers who were locked inside told us how they were brought to the strongroom by the robbers one by one at gunpoint. After they finished collecting the money, the assailants locked the door of the strongroom from outside, dropped the key close by and fled,” the police said.
The incident was reported to the police when the remaining bank staff came for their duty and saw the bank was open but there was no sign of any employees or customers.
“When some of the employees heard voices coming out of the strong room, they called us. When we reached the spot, we opened the strongroom and then came to know of the crime,” the police said.
The police said that it seems that the robbers were fully prepared and had complete knowledge about the bank. The role of an insider is suspected behind the robbery, as the assailants knew that the security guard of the bank was on leave and there are no CCTV cameras installed in the bank.
“They even knew that there would be very few persons in the bank and they would be easily able to overpower them,” the police said.
No arrests have been made yet and the police are investigating.
- Rs.1.4 million looted from a bank in Chennai - Feb 20, 2012
- Robbers walk out of Argentine bank with sacks of mail - Dec 30, 2011
- Dacoits loot Karachi bank of Rs.9.6 mn - Aug 10, 2011
- Pakistanis kill two shop robbers - Jul 19, 2012
- Rs.20 lakh robbed from Chennai bank - Jan 24, 2012
- Rs.7 lakh looted from bank in Jharkhand - Jun 14, 2012
- Jeweller's house looted at gunpoint - Nov 30, 2011
- HDFC Bank in Mumbai looted of Rs.26 lakh - Aug 30, 2010
- Masked men shoot bank cashier, loot Rs.1 million - Mar 28, 2012
- Thieves decamp with bank's CCTV camera - Sep 19, 2010
- Robbery bid at Indian bank in Trinidad and Tobago - Jun 11, 2012
- Arab diplomat mugged of 2 mn pounds in London - Jun 28, 2011
- Robbers decamp with Rs.8 lakh in daring bank heist - Apr 11, 2011
- Armed men rob Rs.7.4 lakh in Gurgaon - May 02, 2011
- Gold finance company robbed - Jun 22, 2012