Bank of America seeks capital, cuts dividendsOctober 7th, 2008 - 7:13 am ICT by IANS
New York, Oct 7 (DPA) Bank of America Corp saw third quarter profits drop by more than two-thirds, prompting it Monday to halve its dividend payments and sell $10 billion in stock to raise money.”These are the most difficult times for financial institutions that I have experienced in my 39 years in banking,” Kenneth D Lewis, the bank’s chairman and chief executive said in a statement.
Profits fell 68 percent to $1.18 billion, or 15 cents per share, from $3.7 billion, or 82 cents per share, in the year-earlier period, the bank said after markets closed Monday.
Its declining profits came largely on industry-wide writedowns of mortgage-backed securities at the heart of the problem that prompted a $700 billion government bail-out plan, which was signed into law last week. Revenues rose 21 percent to $19.9 billion from $16.47 billion.
Still, despite the drop in profit, the Charlotte, North Carolina-based bank is weathering the global financial crisis better than many of its rivals that have folded or been in the red.
Bank of America has also used the turbulence to expand, snapping up the third-largest investment bank Merrill Lynch for $50 billion last month and mortgage lender Countrywide earlier this year.
The dividend cut to 32 cents will save the bank more than $1.4 billion.
- Bank of China to open Taiwan branch - Jun 13, 2012
- Pandit's Citi reports $3.8 bn profit - Oct 18, 2011
- Fed Executes Enormous Profit From Bailout - Apr 23, 2010
- US sues financial firms over mortgage losses - Sep 03, 2011
- Bank of America posts surprising profits - Apr 21, 2009
- JPMorgan Chase earnings miss Wall Street expectations - Jan 14, 2012
- Pandit's Citigroup reports first profitable year - Jan 18, 2011
- Bank of America to slash more than 30,000 jobs - Dec 12, 2008
- Bank Of America's EX CEO Vehemently Defends Merrill Lynch Buyout - Aug 28, 2010
- Bank Of America Settlement Announced, Home Buyers To Be Compensated - Jun 08, 2010
- Bank of America to eliminate 30,000 jobs - Sep 13, 2011
- Bank of America, former CEO charged with fraud - Feb 05, 2010
- Cops raid world's oldest bank - May 09, 2012
- Indian-born Canadian buying major stake in Bank of Ireland - Jul 28, 2011
- Wall Street cheers strong gains in first quarter - Apr 01, 2011