Bank branches to come up in 43,000 new rural areasAugust 22nd, 2011 - 9:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 22 (IANS) The government has told banks to open branches in over 43,000 new rural locations during the current financial year that would bring all habitations with population of over 2,000 under banking net, parliament has been told.
Nearly 73,000 habitations, having population of more then 2,000 (as per 2001 census), were identified by the government. Of these, 29,569 were covered under the banking net in the last financial year, Minister of State for Finance Namo Narain Meena said.
The remaining will be covered by March 2012, Meena said in a written reply to a question in the Lok Sabha last week.
The government has identified the locations and allocated a certain number to public sector banks, regional rural banks, private sector banks and cooperative banks to provide the banking services.
The minister said as of March 31, 2011, the total number of commercial bank branches in the country were 89,396.
Of these, 33,463 or 37.4 percent bank branches are in rural areas, 22,526 or 25.2 percent in semi-urban areas, 17,676 or 19.8 percent in urban areas, and 15,731 or 17.6 percent are in metropolitan areas, according to the Reserve Bank of India data.
All India average population per branch in India was 13,503 as on March 31, 2011.
- Inclusive growth biggest challenge for country: Pranab - Mar 12, 2011
- India to have 5 crore more bank accounts by March 2012 - Feb 10, 2011
- New banks in villages with over 2,000 people - Mar 16, 2010
- Pranab to review banks' performance - Jul 07, 2011
- Biggest challenge before nation is to ensure inclusive growth: Mukherjee - Mar 12, 2011
- Pranab Mukherjee promises more rural banks - Feb 11, 2011
- Indian economy to grow at 9 % in 2011-12, says Pranab Mukherjee - Sep 16, 2010
- Step up efforts on financial inclusion: Pranab - Dec 18, 2011
- FM asks banks to achieve the target of providing banking, financial services to all by 2011 - Sep 07, 2010
- Sonia Gandhi launches 'Swabhimaan campaign' in Delhi - Feb 10, 2011
- Mukherjee hopes inflation decline will continue (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Banking cover target advanced to 2011 - Sep 07, 2010
- 72,000 more villages to get banking services by 2012 - Feb 06, 2011
- Economy to grow by 9 percent in 2011-12: Mukherjee - Sep 16, 2010
- Manmohan Singh reviews financial inclusion efforts - Sep 17, 2010
Tags: bank branches, bank of india, banking services, census, cooperative banks, habitations, Lok Sabha, meena, metropolitan areas, minister of state, namo, narain, New Delhi, parliament, private sector banks, public sector banks, reserve bank of india, rural areas, rural banks, urban areas