Bank ATM tampered, Rs.64 lakh stolenDecember 5th, 2010 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad, Dec 5 (IANS) In a suspected insider job, an ATM of the Punjab National Bank branch in Modi Nagar area of Ghaziabad was tampered with and Rs.64.50 lakh withdrawn late Saturday, police said.
According to circle officer Praveen Ranjan Singh, four employees of Writer Safeguards, the firm which deposits cash in PNB ATMs, are the prime suspects.
“The four employees, identified as Shashi Shekhar, Ravi Ranjan, Deepak Tomar and Madan Pal, had deposited Rs.76 lakh at around 7.45 pm on Saturday. By 9.15 pm, about Rs.64.50 lakh was withdrawn from the machine and there was just Rs. 11.50 lakh left,” he said.
The ATM cabin had two CCTV cameras, of which one was defunct. The footage showed a man entering the cabin wrapped in a blanket. However, the face is not visible, Singh said.
The blanket was recovered inside the ATM cabin Sunday.
“The cash depositing security agency staff usually have a twelve-digit password with which they open the ATM cabinet to deposit cash. In this case, the money was not siphoned off by any card but taken out by opening the machine box. No tampering marks were found anywhere else on the machine,” he said.
“Apart from these persons, no one else knew the password. We suspect that either these men have opened the machine themselves or might have given the password to anyone else,” he said.
The four employees have been detained and investigations are on, he added.
- ATM with Rs.10 lakh gutted in Ghaziabad - May 17, 2012
- Over Rs.2 lakh withdrawn using cloned ATM cards - Aug 22, 2010
- ATM frauds on the rise in Chandigarh - Nov 24, 2010
- Over Rs.1 crore stolen from Axis Bank ATMs in Allahabad - Jul 15, 2012
- Cash firm staffer held for stealing from ATMs - Sep 01, 2011
- Rs 24.5 lakh looted in Ranchi - May 03, 2010
- ATM thieves arrested - Aug 19, 2011
- Rs.33 lakh looted from bank van - Mar 31, 2012
- Three caught for cheating ATM users - Apr 25, 2011
- Strike cripples banking operations in Karnataka - Aug 22, 2012
- Rs.33 lakh looted from bank van (Lead, changing dateline) - Mar 31, 2012
- ATM trickster arrested - Feb 01, 2011
- Two injured in three robberies in capital - Jan 14, 2011
- Robbers take away ATM - May 14, 2011
- Thieves cart away loaded ATM in 3 minutes flat - May 26, 2010