Banglaore rolls out mobile tanks for Ganesha idol immersionSeptember 3rd, 2008 - 10:15 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Sep 3 (IANS) Concerned about the pollution of its lakes, civic authorities in India’s IT hub Wednesday on the occasion of Ganesh Chaturthi sent out over 20 mobile tanks to help devotees immerse their Ganesha idols. The greater Bangalore city corporation and Karnataka State Pollution Control Board each deployed 11 mobile immersion tanks that went round the city Wednesday from five p.m. onwards, a spokesperson of the civic body said.
Several thousands of plaster of Paris idols painted with chemical colours immersed annually in Bangalore’s lakes have been polluting the water bodies.
In recent years the civic authorities have tried to minimise the damage to the lakes by deploying mobile immersion tanks.
Since many devotees prefer to immerse the idols in the lakes, the authorities have designated three water bodies for the purpose. They have barricaded a 40 feet by 40 feet area in the three lakes where immersion is allowed.
People have to remove flowers and other decorative items and hand over the idols to trained swimmers hired by the civic authorities to immerse.
Swimmers are being deployed as there have been instances of people drowning in the lakes while immersing the idols.
Heavy downpour in several areas Wednesday evening marred the celebrations.
However, there was no rain Wednesday morning and this enabled thousands of people to visit Ganesh temples in the city.
- Opt for eco-friendly Ganesh idols, Bangaloreans urged - Sep 08, 2010
- Goa government pitches for fish-devourable Ganesh idols (With Image) - Aug 01, 2012
- These Ganeshas give environment a fighting chance (With Images) - Sep 13, 2010
- Fervour, gaiety mark Ganesha, Eid festivities in Karnataka - Sep 11, 2010
- Hyderabad Ganesh festival begins amid tight security - Sep 01, 2011
- Maharashtra bids adieu to Lord Ganesh (Lead) - Sep 11, 2011
- Mumbai readies for Ganesh festival revelry from Saturday - Sep 10, 2010
- Saffron group goes green for Ganesh Chaturthi - Aug 30, 2011
- Peaceful Ganesh processions on amid tight security in Hyderabad - Sep 11, 2011
- Ganesh procession passes off peacefully in Hyderabad (Night Lead) - Sep 23, 2010
- Inflation to affect Ganesha festival, high fuel price makes celebrations costly affair - Aug 01, 2010
- Ganpati immersion ceremony ends in Maharashtra (Lead) - Sep 22, 2010
- Hyderabad under high security for Ganesh immersion - Sep 10, 2011
- Two-wheeler ban likely at Ganesh immersion sites - Sep 08, 2011
- Green Ganesh Chaturthi in Goa - Aug 23, 2009