Bangladeshi, trooper caught in Tripura handed backJuly 6th, 2012 - 2:42 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, July 6 (IANS) A Bangladeshi trooper and a civilian captured by villagers in Tripura while trying to abduct an Indian farmer from the border area, were handed over to the Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) Friday, an official here said.
A Bangladeshi Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) trooper and a civilian were held by some villagers while the duo was trying to kidnap an Indian farmer late Thursday in western Tripura’s Champahaur area, around 120 km from here, a Border Security Force (BSF) spokesman here said.
The RAB trooper, Mohammad Safiqul, and Bangladeshi national Subrata Tanti were later handed over by the villagers to the BSF.
According to villagers, Krishna Narayan Kar was working in his paddy fields outside the border fencing when Safiqul and Tanti tried to abduct him.
“As a goodwill gesture, we (BSF) handed over both the men to BGB officials and have asked them to take legal action against the intruders.”
The trooper belongs to the 9th battalion of the RAB.
Earlier on January 21 this year, the BSF had handed over to the Bangladeshi forces BGB personnel Lutfar Rahman, who was caught by some villagers for killing an Indian farmer.
Tripura shares a total of 856-km of border with Bangladesh, some of it unfenced and running through dense forests, making it difficult for Indian security forces to check infiltration.
According to a government official, about 8,750 families comprising over 50,000 people in the state have been affected by the ongoing construction of the barbed wire fencing along the border with Bangladesh. Properties, including fields and ponds of many, have fallen outside the fence.
India is erecting the fence along the 4,095-km India-Bangladesh border in West Bengal, Assam, Meghalaya and Mizoram to check trans-border movement of militants and to prevent infiltration and border crimes.
- Indian's killing: Bangladesh given custody of border guard - Jan 21, 2012
- Bangladesh border guard held after killing Indian (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- India to erect single row fence along Bangladesh border - Sep 18, 2012
- Dismantle militant camps, BSF to urge Bangladesh counterparts - Dec 08, 2011
- Bangladesh frees three Indians after seven months - Aug 14, 2012
- India, Bangladesh border guards to meet every four months - Feb 03, 2012
- Gold from Bangladesh seized, one detained - Sep 03, 2012
- India, Bangladesh border guards exchange saplings (With Image) - Aug 19, 2012
- India, Bangladesh hold border talks - Sep 26, 2011
- Bangladesh Border Guard held after killing Indian - Jan 20, 2012
- BSF, Bangladesh border guards to discuss trans-border issues - Mar 16, 2012
- Man killed in BSF firing in Tripura - May 31, 2012
- No trace of hostages, fencing work stops - Apr 02, 2012
- India-Bangladesh border guards to meet over murder attempt - Aug 19, 2011
- Bangladesh assures firm action against Indian insurgents - Dec 13, 2011
Tags: assam, barbed wire fencing, bgb, border area, border fencing, border guard, border movement, border security force, dense forests, goodwill gesture, government official, indian security forces, meghalaya, mizoram, narayan, ongoing construction, paddy fields, rapid action, subrata, west bengal