Bangladeshi nationals held in AgartalaMarch 17th, 2011 - 3:56 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, March 17 (IANS) Four Bangladeshi nationals coming from Mumbai via Kolkata were arrested at the Agartala airport for “their mysterious role in India”, police said here Thursday.
“Acting on a tip-off, intelligence bureau officials nabbed the middle-aged Bangladeshi nationals late Wednesday for illegally entering into India and later handed them over to the Tripura police,” Tripura police spokesman Nepal Das told IANS.
The foreign citizens were arrested under the Indian Passport Act. A local court sent them to 14 days’ custody.
“The Bangladeshi nationals had illegally entered into India last year through Benapole-Petrapole border in West Bengal,” a police official told reporters after preliminary investigations.
“After staying in West Bengal for a few months, they went to Mumbai, from where they came to Agartala by a private airline enroute to Dhaka,” he added.
“The central and state intelligence officials are questioning the detainees. Some suspicious information and telephone numbers of Pakistani citizens along with their mobile sets have been recovered from them,” the official said.
According to the interrogators, the foreign nationals were giving different statements to the police. “We are trying to unearth the truth from them,” the official said.
Border Security Force (BSF) troopers and Tripura police last year detained three top agents of Pakistan’s spy agency Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) in different parts of the northeastern state, which shares an 856-km border with Bangladesh.
According to police, the ISI agents had entered India from Bangladesh and visited other northeastern states as well. The Pakistani spies are now in Tripura jails.
- Bangladesh frees three Indians after seven months - Aug 14, 2012
- 13 Bangladeshis held in Tripura - Sep 18, 2011
- One more ISI agent held along Tripura border - Oct 30, 2010
- Another ISI agent held in Tripura - Sep 03, 2010
- 13 Bangladeshis arrested in Tripura - Jun 22, 2012
- 30 Myanmarese, Bangladeshis caught in Tripura - Dec 02, 2011
- 12 Bangladeshis held in Tripura - Sep 14, 2011
- Nine illegal Bangladeshi migrants held in Assam - Mar 10, 2012
- Fake Indian currency recovered, three held - Mar 18, 2012
- US wants better India-Bangladesh economic ties - Apr 24, 2012
- Three Indians crash into Bangladesh territory, held - Dec 27, 2011
- ISI activity in northeast under scanner - Jul 14, 2010
- 14 Bangladeshis arrested in Tripura - Sep 03, 2011
- Bangladeshi, trooper caught in Tripura handed back - Jul 06, 2012
- Six Myanmarese held in Tripura, sent to jail - Nov 07, 2011
Tags: border security force, bureau officials, foreign nationals, indian passport, intelligence bureau, intelligence officials, inter services, isi agents, local court, mysterious role, northeastern state, northeastern states, pakistani citizens, police official, police spokesman, private airline, spy agency, state intelligence, top agents, west bengal