Bangladeshi held with photocopy of Indian passport in MeghalayaMay 13th, 2012 - 12:29 am ICT by IANS
Shillong, May 12 (IANS) A Bangladeshi national, who was earlier jailed in the US for six years has been arrested in Meghalaya for carrying counterfeit money and a photocopy of an Indian passport, an official said Saturday.
Rashel Khan alias Islam Saiful, 32, was nabbed Saturday night from Lynkhat village in Meghalaya’ East Khasi Hills district, Border Security Force spokesman Ravi Gandhi told IANS.
BSF troopers seized a photocopy of an Indian passport under the name of Islam Saiful, a resident of Naugaon (Assam), issued by the regional passport office, Guwahati.
They also recovered fake Rs.500 Indian currency notes with a face value of Rs.90,000, Rs.650 and a mobile phone handset.
During preliminary interrogation, Khan claimed that the photocopy of passport was arranged by Sarifuddin, a resident of Barpokri village in Naugaon.
Khan told the BSF interrogators that the original copy of the passport was to be handed over to him by Sarifuddin before flying over off to Saudi Arabia May 25, said the BSF official.
“We are still ascertaining his real identity. So far, he has only confessed that he has been imprisoned in Washington state, US, from 1998 to 2003,” Gandhi said.
Meanwhile, the BSF have handed over Khan and the seized items to Meghalaya police.
- ULFA and KLO rebels arrested in Meghalaya - Jan 05, 2012
- Top PLA rebel arrested in Meghalaya - Sep 05, 2012
- Four Garo rebels arrested in Meghalaya - Aug 06, 2012
- ULFA linkman nabbed in Meghalaya - Nov 18, 2011
- ULFA cadre arrested in Meghalaya - Jul 10, 2012
- Top militant arrested in Meghalaya (With Image) - Jul 19, 2010
- Meghalaya farmer still in Bangladesh custody - Aug 01, 2010
- Fake currency seized in Rajasthan - Jun 16, 2012
- Police scale down seized fake money haul, say notes good quality - Jan 14, 2012
- Top HNLC militant arrested in Meghalaya - May 08, 2010
- Two militants arrested from India-Bangladesh border - Apr 10, 2010
- Top GNLA rebel arrested in Meghalaya - Aug 28, 2012
- India-Bangladesh border guards to meet over murder attempt - Aug 19, 2011
- Bangladesh assures firm action against Indian insurgents - Dec 13, 2011
- Two BSF men detained after 'human sacrifice' - Oct 07, 2011
Tags: alias, assam, border security force, bsf official, counterfeit money, currency notes, east khasi hills, face value, gandhi, indian currency, indian passport, interrogators, meghalaya, mobile phone handset, rashel, regional passport office, rs 90, saiful, saudi arabia, shillong