Bangladeshi arms trafficker arrested in TripuraMarch 30th, 2008 - 9:53 pm ICT by admin
Agartala, March 30 (IANS) A joint team of the West Bengal and Tripura police has arrested a Bangladeshi arms trafficker here Sunday, officials said. Acting on a tip-off, officials of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of the two states arrested Bangladeshi national identified as Mamun Mian alias Suman Majumdar from a house at Ramnagar, on the outskirts of Tripura capital Agartala, for his involvement in anti-Indian activities and trafficking in arms and explosives.
“The West Bengal police earlier this year had nabbed two Bangladeshi nationals, Shamim Akhtar and Alamgir Hussain, in Kolkata with several incriminating documents pertaining to maps and details of army camps in north Bengal areas. A case was also registered against them,” said Subrata Chakraborty, officer in charge of the West Kotowali police station.
During their interrogation, Shamim and Alamgir revealed to the West Bengal CID officials that they had entered India last year and that one of their associates, Mamun Mian, was hiding in Agartala city.
The West Bengal CID team came here Saturday and apprehended Mamun, from whom a fake Bangladeshi passport and some documents were recovered.
The police suspect all three Bangladeshi nationals might have links with the militant outfit Harkat-ul-Jehadi Islami (HuJI).
- Bangladeshi man gets 10 years in jail in India - May 24, 2010
- Suspected ISI agent among three held in Tripura - Jul 04, 2010
- Tripura Left Front ministry to be expanded Sunday - Feb 10, 2012
- Tripura minister's links with arms dealer being probed - Apr 11, 2008
- Minister reinducted in Tripura amidst controversy - Feb 12, 2012
- Bangladeshi bandit killed in Tripura - Mar 29, 2012
- Former minister likely to be reinducted in Tripura cabinet - Jul 26, 2010
- Tripura minister resigns over links with arms dealer - Apr 17, 2008
- Uproar cuts short Tripura governor's address - Feb 24, 2012
- ISI activity in northeast under scanner - Jul 14, 2010
- Mamun Mia gets ten-day police remand in Tripura - Jun 20, 2008
- Delhi blast: Email suspects being quizzed - Sep 11, 2011
- Life in Tripura crippled as Left, Congress call shut-down - Jul 13, 2011
- Parties call for 12-hour Tripura shutdown Wednesday - Jul 12, 2011
- Delhi blast: Jammu and Kashmir Police verifying facts - Sep 10, 2011