Bangladesh to protest against Cheema’s obstructionMarch 25th, 2012 - 6:48 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, March 25 (IANS) The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) will lodge a complaint with the International Cricket Council (ICC) and the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) over the collision between Mahmudullah Riyad and Pakistan bowler Aizaz Cheema during the final of the Asia Cup that was won by Pakistan last week.
The incident took place during the first ball of the final over of Bangladesh innings when Cheema blocked Riyad, who was trying to take the second run after the ball had gone to third-man. It ended up as just a single leaving Bangladesh to score eight runs off five balls. Bangladesh lost by two runs.
“It is clearly written in the playing conditions that it will be a dead ball if the batsman faces an obstacle while running by a bowler or fielder. The batting side will get a five-run penalty,” BCB cricket operations chairman Enayet Hossain Siraj was quoted as saying by The Daily Star.
“In that case, we would have required only four runs off six balls. We have footage which clearly shows that the bowler in question created an obstacle to Riyad,” he added.
Umpire Steve Davis spoke with the two players after Riyad had protested immediately.
- Pakistan disappointed over Bangladesh's appeal against Asia Cup result - Mar 26, 2012
- Asia Cup: Bangladesh opt to field against Pakistan - Mar 22, 2012
- Bangladesh Cricket Board director questions Shakib's axing - Sep 18, 2011
- Pakistan beat Bangladesh to win Asia Cup - Mar 23, 2012
- Asia Cup: Bangladesh recall Mortaza, drop Tamim - Mar 06, 2012
- Bangladesh recalls Shahadat for Windies series - Oct 01, 2011
- Pakistan recall Kamran Akmal, Razzaq for World T20 - Jul 12, 2012
- Tamim, Shakib star in Bangladesh win in warm-up match - Feb 12, 2011
- Pakistan drop Riaz over spot-fixing links - Nov 21, 2011
- Bangladesh call-up Mortaza for national camp - Nov 17, 2011
- Asia Cup: Pakistan beat Sri Lanka with bonus point (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- India have batting to overpower Bangladesh (Evening Lead, World Cup match preview) - Feb 18, 2011
- Pakistan likely to host Bangladesh full series next year - Dec 15, 2010
- Gul's absence in Pak team will not be felt: Cheema - Apr 06, 2011
- Scoreboard of South Africa's innings against Bangladesh - Mar 19, 2011