Bangladesh to observe Earth HourMarch 29th, 2012 - 8:16 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, March 29 (IANS) The Bangladeshi government has decided to observe Earth Hour 2012 and it will urge the people not to use power during that time, an official said Thursday.
“We’ve decided to observe Earth Hour and ask the people not to use power during that hour,” Xinhua quoted Towfiq-E-Elahi Chowdhury, Bangladeshi prime minister’s energy advisor as saying at a press briefing.
Earth Hour 2012 will be held March 31, 2012 from 8.30 p.m. to 9.30 p.m. at the participating country’s local time.
The Bangladesh government could save about 400 tonnes of liquid fuel and 1.6 million units of electricity if all people in the country observe Earth Hour, said the country’s Power Development Board Chairman ASM Alamgir.
The country’s Power Secretary Abul Kalam Azad said they have started to campaign for it and hope that it would be observed across Bangladesh.
Earth Hour is a worldwide event that is organised by the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) and is held on the last Saturday of March annually, encouraging households and businesses to turn off their non-essential lights for one hour to raise awareness about the need to take action on climate change.
The concept of Earth Hour was conceived by the World Wide Fund (WWF) for Nature and the Sydney Morning Herald in 2007, when 2.2 million residents of Sydney participated by turning off all non-essential lights.
Following Sydney’s lead, many other cities around the world adopted the event in 2008.
- Power firm urges Delhi residents to observe Earth Hour - Mar 24, 2011
- UN to observe Earth Hour - Mar 31, 2012
- Over 4,000 cities to turn off lights during Earth Hour - Mar 25, 2011
- Distcom urges consumers to switch off on Earth Hour - Mar 28, 2012
- Earth Hour a phenomenon in cyber space - Mar 24, 2011
- Taj group to take steps beyond Earth hour - Mar 25, 2011
- Delhi switches the lights off for 4th Earth Hour (Lead) (with Image) - Mar 31, 2012
- Mumbai turns off lights during Earth Hour - Mar 28, 2010
- B-town celebs urge people to support Earth Hour - Mar 31, 2012
- Earth hour 2012: Set to go dark for an hour? - Mar 31, 2012
- Maharashtra ministers to turn off power for Earth Hour - Mar 27, 2010
- UN to turn off lights for Earth Hour Saturday - Mar 25, 2010
- Delhi set to turn off lights for Earth Hour - Mar 26, 2011
- India to switch off lights at Earth Hour - Mar 15, 2011
- Earth Hour in Moscow saves 2,400 kWh - Apr 01, 2012
Tags: abul kalam azad, asm, bangladesh government, bangladeshi government, board chairman, chowdhury, cities around the world, climate change, elahi, energy advisor, last saturday, liquid fuel, morning herald, nature wwf, power secretary, sydney morning herald, tonnes, units of electricity, worldwide event, xinhua