Bangladesh registers 80 mn voters for December electionOctober 14th, 2008 - 6:52 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Oct 14 (DPA) Bangladesh’s military forces Tuesday handed over a list of more than 80 million voters with photographs to the Election Commission to be used in the country’s stalled parliamentary polls scheduled for Dec 18.Chief Election Commissioner A.T.M. Shamsul Huda received the copy of the voters roll, prepared for the first time in Bangladesh under a donor supported scheme supervised by the armed forces.
The handing over ceremony of the electoral rolls took place at a time when one of the major political parties, the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP), was holding talks with the country’s military-backed government of Fakhruddin Ahmed on electoral reforms and preparedness for the polls.
The other major party, the Awami League, is expected to hold a similar dialogue next week. The total number of voters in the latest roll with photographs stood at 81.01 million, down by 10.2 million from the previous roll.
Receiving the voters roll from an army officer, the chief election commissioner said his commission was now prepared for the general election.
“The election will take place on time,” said Huda.
- Awami League wins contentious Bangladesh by-poll - Apr 25, 2010
- Bangladesh to give ID-cards to citizens - Jan 28, 2010
- High turnout marks peaceful Bangladesh polls (Roundup) - Dec 29, 2008
- Finger printing, spot photos of all voters soon: CEC - Feb 01, 2012
- Bangladesh announces schedule for December polls - Nov 03, 2008
- Bangladesh parties begin campaign for Dec 18 poll - Nov 03, 2008
- Poll panel keeping tabs on Himachal government actions - Jul 12, 2012
- Election panel reviews poll preparedness in Bihar - Sep 20, 2010
- Bangladesh emergency may be lifted fortnight before polls - Nov 24, 2008
- Voting in landmark Bangladesh elections proceeds peacefully (Lead) - Dec 29, 2008
- Voting ends peacefully in Bangladesh - Dec 29, 2008
- Bangladesh to deploy army in crucial civic poll - Oct 16, 2011
- Poll panel begins groundwork for polls in five states - Sep 04, 2012
- Paid news an emerging challenge: Quraishi - Apr 30, 2012
- Uncertainties may delay Bangladesh poll schedule announcement - Oct 31, 2008