Bangladesh migrants breeding terrorism in Assam: AdvaniOctober 31st, 2008 - 10:27 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Oct 31 (IANS) Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L.K. Advani Friday blamed illegal infiltration from Bangladesh as the main reason for breeding terrorism in Assam and asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to clarify his stand on the issue.”I blame the state and the central government for the blasts in Assam,” Advani said.
Advani was on a daylong visit to Guwahati to take stock of the situation in the aftermath of the serial blasts that killed 77 people and wounded 300 people.
“I ask the prime minister, who is elected from Assam, what his government has done after the Supreme Court’s landmark judgment on the IMDT (Illegal Migrants Determination by Tribunals) Act indicting the Government of India for having colluded with external aggression,” Advani told journalists.
“The government only incorporated all those provisions in the struck down IMDT in the Foreigners Act, which the Supreme Court declared as unconstitutional,” Advani said.
Advani visited blast sites and met injured victims at the hospitals.
“I would also like to ask the prime minister what his response is to the mental state of the people of Assam. How is he going to meet the challenge of the citizens sense of insecurity?,” he asked.
Advani said there were 35 million illegal Bangladeshi migrants in the country.
“Did the central government ever exert pressure on Bangladesh to take them back,” he asked.
“In the media three organisations - ULFA, Bangladesh-based HuJI and Lashkar have been mentioned as perpetrators of yesterday’s (Thursday’s) blasts. ULFA is invariably mentioned,” he added.
“I have heard about angry reaction from the people after the blasts. People are angry, but I appeal not to take to violence and instead use the democratic means of the ballot to vote out someone whom you don’t like,” Advani said.
- Advani blames Bangladeshi immigrants for Assam violence (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Assam violence unprecedented, government to blame: Advani (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Congress importing illegal migrants in Assam: Jaitley - Aug 09, 2012
- Advani blames Bangladeshi immigrants for Assam violence (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- PM calls Advani's remark disgraceful, Sonia agitated (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Assam should become a growth engine: PM - Apr 20, 2012
- ULFA faction opposes Sonia's Assam visit, calls for shutdown - May 22, 2012
- Rs.420,000 spent to deport one Bangladeshi from Assam - Mar 09, 2010
- Shutdown near total in northeast (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 06, 2012
- ULFA-HUJI terror link to be broken through regional co-operation - Feb 18, 2009
- Centre to blame for Assam violence: Advani - Aug 08, 2012
- Advani blames Bangladeshi immigrants for Assam violence - Jul 31, 2012
- HuJi link to Delhi attack on Israelis? - Feb 21, 2012
- BJP motion on Assam violence rejected (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Only 3,000 illegal Bangladeshis expelled since 1985 - Sep 08, 2009