Bangaldesh cricket captain Ashraful warned of poor formSeptember 9th, 2008 - 4:01 pm ICT by IANS
Brisbane, Sep 9 (IANS) Bangladesh cricket coach Jamie Siddons has warned skipper Mohammed Ashraful of his poor form and also that the cricketer was lucky to escape the axe after another poor series.”He’s been given a lot of positions in the order and he’s still failing. It’s disappointing for him, being the leader of the team. If it were anyone else he wouldn’t be in the side. He needs to start making runs. He knows that,” Siddons was quoted as saying by The Courier-Mail here Tuesday.
Ashraful managed only 11 runs in the three one-day losses to Australia in Darwin, and his impetuous strokeplay has frustrate his coach.
For a player of immense talent, the 24-year-old Ashraful averages just over 22 from his 128 matches.
“We talk to him about that all the time. I’m not giving out any secrets he’s probably had 50 innings for three fifties now. It’s getting close (to being dropped),” Siddons added.
Siddons went on to add that Bangladesh’s three defeats in Darwin had some positives. According to him, the series showed that Bangladeshi bowlers were good enough to restrict sides, on most wickets. However, the batsmen still had not improved their shot selection.
“A couple of guys are believing, but there’s a few who aren’t, that it requires hard work to make a big score,” he said.
“Those guys need to really look at their game and what they’re doing when they go out to bat.”
- Bangladesh coach Siddons to leave in June - Apr 13, 2011
- Siddons plans close attention for Clarke - Apr 03, 2011
- Siddons expects Bangladesh to perform well in New Zealand - Feb 02, 2010
- Siddons unhappy with Muralitharan's signing before his appointment - May 14, 2011
- Brathwaite will be back, says Sammy - Apr 30, 2012
- Ashraful feels he was not given a fair chance by selectors - Oct 20, 2011
- Kiwis want Bangladesh whitewash to prepare for Oz challenge - Feb 02, 2010
- Bangladesh recalls Shahadat for Windies series - Oct 01, 2011
- Focussed on winning the next games: Bangladesh coach - Mar 13, 2011
- Bangladesh face a daunting task in must-win match (Preview) - Mar 18, 2011
- Morrison declares India as team to beat at World Cup 2011 - Jul 15, 2010
- Strauss says Trott's 'pre-shot crease-work' not against 'spirit of game' - Jun 04, 2010
- Bangladesh has 'good chance' to upset New Zealand: Iqbal - Feb 02, 2010
- World Cup teams: Strengths and key players - Feb 18, 2011
- There is renewed self-belief in West Indies camp: Coach Gibson - Oct 15, 2011