Banaskantha district head chooses Modi over governorFebruary 21st, 2009 - 1:00 am ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, Feb 20 (IANS) Where should the head of a district remain when a constitutional head like Gujarat Governor Nawal Kishore Sharma and Chief Minister Narendra Modi come calling at the same time in the same district of Banaskantha?
Governor Sharma was attending the 4th convocation of Sardar Krushinagar Dantiwada Agricultural University at Dantiwada Friday and at the same time Chief Minister Narendra Modi too was present at Shihori in Kakraj taluka of Banaskantha to address a Mahila sammelan (women’s gathering).
However, Banaskantha district Collector R.J. Patel preferred to be with Chief Minister Modi while Sub Divisional Magistrate P.B. Brahmabhatt was on duty to attend Governor Sharma.
According to constitutional experts, the district heads should remain with the governor who is head of the state.
Shirish Modi, a leading lawyer, said: “The collector being the head of the district should remain with the governor, constitutionally. The governor is constitutional head of the state while the chief minister is only the head of his government and council of ministers.”
- UPA conspiring against Gujarat government: Modi - Sep 25, 2011
- SIT to question IAS officer in jail - May 19, 2011
- Gujarat Lokayukta: Subversion of constitution or sticking to rules? - Sep 06, 2011
- Statewide primary school enrolment drive in Gujarat - Jun 16, 2010
- Gujarat wins UN award - Jun 24, 2010
- Modi goes for kill in panchayat polls, Congress edgy - Oct 20, 2010
- Supreme Court orders CBI probe in Gujarat Prajapati encounter case - Apr 08, 2011
- Can't bypass state government in service matters: SC - Aug 06, 2012
- Modi's fast unconstitutional: Madhya Pradesh JD-U - Sep 18, 2011
- Child labour rampant in Gujarat's cotton fields: NCPCR - Oct 13, 2011
- Jurists differ on controversial Gujarat Lokayukta appointment - Sep 05, 2011
- Supreme Court notice on IAS officer's bail plea - Oct 20, 2011
- e-broadcast pilot project launched in Gujarat - May 06, 2011
- Modi writes to PM for recall of Karnataka governor - May 19, 2011
- Defiant Gujarat BJP legislator opposes cement plant - Sep 04, 2010